New here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catpicklesdog

5 Year Member
I've recently taken on a leopard tortoise and rescued 2 turtles. Still working on the identity of the turtles but general consensus seems to be that they are Florida Turtles!!

All have been suffering from incorrect diet (especially the Leo, he lived on lettuce and fruit for the last 4 years) but I'm working on weaning them onto a correct diet:)

Looking forward to learning lots!!!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardner, MA
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new charges!!! I hope they bring you the joy that my little guy brings me. I only know what makes charlie go, but there are a lot of experienced owners here. If you post pics of the turtles, I am sure someone will be able to identify them for you. And we love seeing all types of tort and turtle pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes! We love to see the pictures of everyone's turtles and tortoises. Welcome to the forum. So glad you were able to get those poor animals and start them on the road to recovery.

Several years ago a teacher in Cincinnati went back to school after the week-end and found a small leopard tortoise in a box with several green apples by the door to her classroom. Her assumption was that the tortoise's diet was green apples. She did research, realized she didn't live in a good area for a desert-type tortoise, found me on the internet, and she and her fiance DROVE here to Calif. from OH on summer vacation to bring me the tortoise.

When I got her she was very pretty and just about normal shaped, with just a little pyramiding. However, since she has lived here and only been fed the grasses and weeds in her pen, she has developed a funny shape and doesn't look normal at all. Since everything here is correct...food, sun, humidity...I have to assume that the previous diet of green apples caused her to grow "crooked."

So, don't be surprised if your new leopard doesn't look quite right as she starts to grow. Those first years are very important in a young tortoise's life.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
catpicklesdog, welcome to the forum. Would love to see pictures of your turtles and tort. and to learn their names as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.