New greek tortoise sleeping a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Hi,

I got my first baby greek tortoise about 2 weeks ago. She is about 4-5 cm long. About one week ago I made a new and bigger enclosure for her. She is sleeping or lying still (under her basking lamp) most of the day since I got her and I am wondering if this is normal? I dont know exactly how much she moves around but almost everytime I check on her is is either sleeping or lying under her basking light. I know she eats because most of the food in her food bowl is gone by about mid day. I am attaching a picture of the tortoise.

Here is some info about the tortoise and her home:

1. She eats everyday (a mix of romaine lettuce and Pre Alpin Testudo Herbs.
2. Has a shallow water bowl (I dont know if she goes in there herself but I put her in there every other day)
3. Her enclosure is 120cm x 45 cm, bedding is cyprus wood shavings, heat and UV source is a lamp from EXO TERRA 125W bulb. Temp in basking area is 95F, temp in rest of enclosure is about 65-70F.
4. I live in Scandinavia, so the tortoise is living only indoors.

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, gtc!

Your bulb might be a bit strong for your baby. Have you measured the temp directly under the light and all around the edge of where the light shines? You may have to raise it up a bit.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Remember baby torts sleep a lot. It is their natural instinct to hide from predators or else they will be tort soup!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She is sleeping or lying still (under her basking lamp) most of the day

Perhaps the rest of the enclosure is a bit too cool for her liking and therefore she is remaining under the heat ?? Do you ever see signs of her being in other places of her enclosure?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, gtc!

Your bulb might be a bit strong for your baby. Have you measured the temp directly under the light and all around the edge of where the light shines? You may have to raise it up a bit.

Hi,

Thank you for the idea. I just measured directly under the lamp and it was about 95F. I'll check the edges too.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
ascott said:

Perhaps the rest of the enclosure is a bit too cool for her liking and therefore she is remaining under the heat ?? Do you ever see signs of her being in other places of her enclosure?

Its about 72F outside the lamp area. Is this OK?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
ascott said:

Hi,

I think you are right. I dont see her moving too much away from the lamp. The rest of the enclosure is about 21C (72F), which is the average temp in my house. Any good ideas on how to increase the temperture away from the basking light? Do i need two basking lights? A heat mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.