New Greek Tortoise Owner asking for advice.

HammBone

Hello,

My son got a Greek tortoise (Crush) for Christmas but he is 7 so I am taking care of it. I got it from PetSmart and they had no idea in my opinion how to care for him (couldn't even tell me how old he is) and because the first week he was home he wasn't eating. I went back up there and another employee asked if I was wetting his food. No I wasnt because no one told me that. Then I started noticing his shell was turning more yellow everyday and he wouldn't come out of it so I started reading up on them and bought books. I found out he was stressed and didn't have what he needed. So far I think he's doing good now but wanted opinions since he is our first tortoise (we have always had water turtles). He was in a 20 gallon aquarium but then I read those aren't good for them due to lack of circulation so my son and I built him a new enclosure tonight. I have been using reptile bark which he seems to like but from what I gathered on Google ppl also mix soil and play sand together on the laying area so I did that in his new enclosure. He has a UVB lamp over where his food is, heat lamp in the middle where his ceramic tile and soaking dish it at and red heat lamp over in the laying area for at night when I turn the others off. I also mixed limestone powder with water to make a paste and he eats it for calcium. Should I use something else? I picked up some cactus today and will take the needles out and cut some up for him. The labels said its good for calcium and fiber. He eats veggie mix, pellets and fruit mix from the pet store which I wet. Then he eats bananas, grapes, lettuce, fresh green beans, tomatoes, strawberries and now cactus from the grocery store. I also put some shell cream on him last night because it was looking really dry. I think his shell is starting to get darker and he eats alot and moves around alot until I pick him up for bath time soaking or clean his enclosure and he will hiss at me but from reading its because hes scared. I will post pictures but would like any pointers please since I am so new to this I dont want him to die or get sick. Once it warms up he will have outside time but I figured it was to cold right now. I also believe its a boy because of his tail. It is long and curls to the side. On the inter side of it it looks to have a opening but I didn't touch it so idk for sure if its not just a dark area.

Thank you,
Ashley

Attachments

• 20140114_200722.jpg
    20140114_200722.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20140114_200703.jpg
    20140114_200703.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 20140114_200830.jpg
    20140114_200830.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 20140114_201039.jpg
    20140114_201039.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389795968.116539.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389795991.243466.jpg

I'm not a fan of sand, even if it's over in his sleeping area (which me may choose another, then another, then another), he can easily drag food over into sand, then ingest the sand possibly causing an impaction.

My Greek is on 100% orchid bark (which is what Reptibark and EcoEarth bark are, but cheaper at Lowes and Homedepot). I mist it for humidity and keep his house around 60% humidity.
I would find more plants for him to hied under. I use goodwill fake plants. Just make sure yours does not nibble.

I only use one light for heat, basking and UVB, a PowerSun 100w. No heat at night.

I think you have a Russian Tortoise, not a Greek. See mine? That's Larry. He's one if my 9, but he's the only Greek I have.

I looked again, you definitely have a Russian Tortoise. They a blast. I have one also. Easy keepers. They love to dig, so make sure your substrate is very deep...enough for him to burrow and cover himself. That is what makes him happy. And feed less fruit...only as treats. Stick to leafy greens.

Bookmark http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

I feed spring mix, romain, kale, radish tops, carrot tops, orchard hay, grasses sprouted right in their enclosure, dandelions, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammBone

Hello and thank you for replying. Him not being Greek does make sense and why I have been so concerned his shell didn't look like the ones on Google. Then after I bought him the pet store replaced him quick and that tortoise shell looked like the ones from Google so I was beginning to think he was sick or stressed. He does like digging and I will take out the sand and go to home depot and get the substrate u mentioned. Should I not use the soil either and just put that bark everywhere? I will also get plants and another bulb. Mine is only 75 watts. I noticed last night he climbed on the log to get close to his night heat lamb though and I hardly slept because I was scared he wouldnt land right getting off. I will get him a bigger soaking dish too because he wont even get in that one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley, and welcome to the Forum!!

We have a nice care sheet for Russian tortoises here on the Forum:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

They are hardy little tortoises and are very forgiving of poor care (while you're learning). It may take a couple weeks for him to get used to his new home, and during that time he may just stay hidden. I would put him out in front of the food every morning.

And speaking of food, you're not offering him the diet that he requires. Here's a nice list of different foods to feed your Russian tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

You can pick several items from the list then next time you shop, pick several different ones. Variety is the key to a healthy tortoise.