New from Southeast PA

D Nickerson

Location (City and/or State)
South East PA.
Hi All. I actually joined because of my 9 year old son. He loves turtles. Which brings me to a question.
When he tried to join it said he was too young. Why would this be? I figure education, turtle site, all for
learning. But anyway, we don't have any turtles or tortoises, but do get the chance to see them daily if
we wanted to outside.
By saying Southeast PA. we are not in the city. We have 10 acres that border Montgomery County
Trail System, and a stones throw from the Reservoir. We have mainly Box Turtles around here, but
occasionally see a few big snappers about 2- 2 1/2 foot long.
My son is looking forward to being on this site.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
The Green Lane Reservoir. It is one of the water supply's for Philly. Next time I see a big snapper
I'll get some pics.

Hi @D Nickerson, and welcome! I'm not too far from you, and have been to Green Lane Reservoir many times, but unfortunately never saw any snappers there.

Welcome to the forum! Are you thinking about getting a turtle or tortoise for your family?

I believe the age restriction is a legal issue in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

D Nickerson

South East PA.
Snappers can occasionally be seen there, but very rare. I mainly see the big snappers
in nearby small creeks and more often in muddy, murky ponds/ wet marshy land. The last
one I saw was late last summer and came from the creek from the farm next door. It was covered
darn near head to tail in mud, which half was still wet. Our neighbor's farm has a pond which has
a small creek that empties into a small leg of the Green Lane Reservoir. They travel back and forth
between the two.

Having a turtle could be in the future possibly. Me personally, I'd rather go down the road to the park
to see them. No taking care of them that way. If my son had it his way there would be penguins and
turtles all over the place here haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi! You and your son are most welcome here. We have many children on the Forum and the moderators work hard at keeping it family oriented.