new baby sulcata tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobalion

5 Year Member
Hi i just brought home a new baby sulcata tortoise , maybe a few weeks old. I purchased a glass tank and lights ,also a thermometer, but my concern is that the humidity inside is reading 40% and the actual temp heat is 78f..as u can see now is 0200 am in the morning and I am up just keeping an eye on it. when I picked her up at the place where I got her from she was very active and running all over, now she is just there, no moving.. should I get concern.. she has food and water but I do not see her eat....I also placed small box upside down..I placed her inside myself...I just do not know how to increase the humidity inside , and also what should I put at the bottom of the box..any advise, thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What is your temperature during the day? 78F is ok at night, but during the day it should be in the 80's. Also, one would expect a baby to be asleep at night, and less active.

I'm not very scientific with my tortoise-keeping. I pour a pitcherfull of water over the substrate in the morning, then mix it up with my hand and smooth it out. I have a bit of aluminum foil over the top to keep the cold air from the house out of the habitat. This also serves to keep the warm, moist air in.

What kind of light are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Click the links in my signature for lots of baby sulcata info.

Status
Not open for further replies.