New at Tortoises

Carson

Hi I am Carson and I am completely new to tortoises. I have not purchased a tortoise yet but when I do it is definitely going to be a western Hermann tortoise. I am choosing between purchasing a baby or an adult. I have a lot of knowledge about both and what to do, but I do not have any advice on which one to get. Also, what are the differences between an adult and a baby western Hermann tortoise?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
The biggest difference is that a baby would be a little more "fragile" then adult

Have you read through the Hermann section? It never hurts to have more knowledge, there is a lot of bad information/misinformation out there so it never hurts to touch base again

Welcome to the forum!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Carson .

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets.

Once you get the tort, do not forget to post pics of him/her, and of course of his/her enclosure.

Good luck!

Carson

The biggest difference is that a baby would be a little more "fragile" then adult

Have you read through the Hermann section? It never hurts to have more knowledge, there is a lot of bad information/misinformation out there so it never hurts to touch base again

Welcome to the forum!

I have read through the Hermann tortoise care sheet on tortoise forum and did give a lot of information but some parts of it weren't straight forward. Some places I see that you can feed Hermann tortoises lettuce but then in some other sources I see that you can't.

Carson

Welcome to the forum!

Also do you know if tortoise supply is a good breeder? I have looked at pictures of newborns and they have a smooth shell.also they are very specific of there hatching conditions which I know is a great thing.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Also do you know if tortoise supply is a good breeder? I have looked at pictures of newborns and they have a smooth shell.also they are very specific of there hatching conditions which I know is a great thing.

Tortoisesupply is a great source

Lettuce can be fed it Just shouldn't be fed to much there are better food options lettuce is mostly water and just a filler