Nev is very sleepy from the UK

Nev123

Hi there,
I'm Hannah the owner of neville, my two year old Russian tortoise. He lives in an indoor tortoise table (see attachement for photo), in the UK. Substrate is coco coir with a MVB heat lamp on one side of the enclosure, cool side has a temp of about 20-22 degrees C. Iv been feeding him a variety of lettuce leaves due to the lack of weeds about, and soak him maybe once a week. Neville has always been very active and has a good little routine of basking eating napping and exploring but over the past week or two he is extremley reluctant to come out. I physically have to pick him up and put him under his lamp in the morning but he quickly goes back to his hide to sleep, I should note that at night i put on the heat mat inside his hide as the temperature drops abit and I don't want him to suffer but I turn it off during the day. On top of this he is eating very little.
I understand as winter is upon us he may be naturally trying to slow down, but he wasn't like this last year, I wonder am i doing something wrong?

Any comments or any help would be much appriciated! :)
Hannah

Attachments

• 1419119419420.jpg
    1419119419420.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1419119819769.jpg
    1419119819769.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Hannah, and welcome to the Forum!

If you don't want him to hibernate, then keep doing what you're doing...take him out and put him in front of the food every day. Don't allow the habitat to cool down.