Neubelizer for RNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I picked up my second Star last week and she looked very strong and bright other than the fact that there were bubbles from her nose(very little). So I put her more in the sun and soaked in luke warm water but it did not really help. Today I started her with the neubalizer with saline solution and baytril to inhale in an enclosed plastic container. It is a 5 day course so hope all goes well. She is eating and walking around fine with very little bubbles occasionally but it's better to start curing now than....
I am also treating her with Panacure for worms. Good thing is she is strong and marching around her tub every now and than.

A bit about her, she's 3 inches in length and NOT carapase and weighs about 113 grams. Once she is doing fine, give it a couple of months and I will put her in the tortoise table Torty is living in now. I think they will make a perfect couple.

Starry night

5 Year Member
You seem to be having the same luck I've been having with stars. All sick and hell to get them better. Where are you getting your tortoises from.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
samstar said:
I picked up my second Star last week and she looked very strong and bright other than the fact that there were bubbles from her nose(very little). So I put her more in the sun and soaked in luke warm water but it did not really help. Today I started her with the neubalizer with saline solution and baytril to inhale in an enclosed plastic container. It is a 5 day course so hope all goes well. She is eating and walking around fine with very little bubbles occasionally but it's better to start curing now than....
I am also treating her with Panacure for worms. Good thing is she is strong and marching around her tub every now and than.

A bit about her, she's 3 inches in length and NOT carapase and weighs about 113 grams. Once she is doing fine, give it a couple of months and I will put her in the tortoise table Torty is living in now. I think they will make a perfect couple.

I've never heard of using a nebulizer to give Baytril before. I'm interested to see how well it works, so keep us posted.

Starry night

5 Year Member
Samstar,
If I were you I would keep the two tortoises separate for a minimum of 6 months. You have already had problems from both and you want to make sure they are both perfectly healthy before mixing them. This includes having fecals done on both and have them fully checked.

samstar

5 Year Member
Starry night said:
You seem to be having the same luck I've been having with stars. All sick and hell to get them better. Where are you getting your tortoises from.

Malaysia. My first one is now perfectly ok.

Starry night said:
Samstar,
If I were you I would keep the two tortoises separate for a minimum of 6 months. You have already had problems from both and you want to make sure they are both perfectly healthy before mixing them. This includes having fecals done on both and have them fully checked.

I was thinking 2-3 months but I will take your advise like many and will seperate for a good 6 months. Also will do a feces test once I get rid of her RNS.

Starry night

5 Year Member
I'm no expert on this matter by far man but I have learned the very hard and costly way. Once a tortoise is sick you need to separate him from your others quickly and for quite some time. I had a tortoise who became ill and after a few weeks and some treatment I thought he was better. Upon putting him back with my others they all became very ill and I almost lost all of them and have spent lots of money on vet bills correcting the problem. I plan to get some other tortoises later this year and will have them quarantined for a minimum of 6 months. You have two tortoises who were both sick when you got them. One with parasites and the other with RNS. Believe me, RNS can seem like it's gone then come back stronger and harder than ever and surprise you and kill your animals. I'm only trying to save you some headache man but as I said. I'm no expert on this matter but have done much reading on these topics and had first hand experience.

samstar

5 Year Member
Starry night said:
I'm no expert on this matter by far man but I have learned the very hard and costly way. Once a tortoise is sick you need to separate him from your others quickly and for quite some time. I had a tortoise who became ill and after a few weeks and some treatment I thought he was better. Upon putting him back with my others they all became very ill and I almost lost all of them and have spent lots of money on vet bills correcting the problem. I plan to get some other tortoises later this year and will have them quarantined for a minimum of 6 months. You have two tortoises who were both sick when you got them. One with parasites and the other with RNS. Believe me, RNS can seem like it's gone then come back stronger and harder than ever and surprise you and kill your animals. I'm only trying to save you some headache man but as I said. I'm no expert on this matter but have done much reading on these topics and had first hand experience.

Thanks. Looks like 6 months quarantine.

samstar

5 Year Member
I am very happy to report that her nose has been totally dry since last night, no more RNS. The baytrill with neubelizer worked! Should I continue another 5 dyas course just in case?

samstar

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Glad to hear it! :) Yes, finish the treatment.

the treatment finished yesterday(5 days) but the vet said to continue for 2-3 more days just in case. It sure does feel good.

samstar

5 Year Member
Ok so I continued with the nebulizer for 3 more days and I have not seen a single bubble or neither is the nose wet. It's a good road to recovery. Also put her under the sun for about 15-20 minutes whenever I get the time, usually weekends and soak her in luke warm water. Just keeping my fingers crossed it does not come back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great thread. I've never heard of the nebulizer treatment either. Sounds like a good way to go. If I ever have another respiratory problem, I will look into this as a treatment option. Thank you.

Glad your new tort is doing better and really glad you decided to heed the quarantine advice. Sounds like Starry Night had a rough go of it.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Vet recommended that I use that treatment with Albuteral instead of Baytril for my 16 year old cat and he was dead in 20 minutes. Collapsed his lungs.

samstar

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
My Vet recommended that I use that treatment with Albuteral instead of Baytril for my 16 year old cat and he was dead in 20 minutes. Collapsed his lungs.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat

Roachman26 said:
Great thread. I've never heard of the nebulizer treatment either. Sounds like a good way to go. If I ever have another respiratory problem, I will look into this as a treatment option. Thank you.

Glad your new tort is doing better and really glad you decided to heed the quarantine advice. Sounds like Starry Night had a rough go of it.

The nebulizer worked well with my Star, as a mater of fact, on the 3rd day, her nose was totally dry and no bubbles at all till today. Today is the 9th day since I got her started with it and she is doing well. The thing about the nebulizer is that the Star is breathing in the antibiotics directly into it's mouth, lungs which is good. No needles required. She is also loving her Mazuri which I personally feel really helps.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
maggie3fan said:

Oh, how awful! Was the cat having an asthma attack?

M

Maggie Cummings

kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:

Oh, how awful! Was the cat having an asthma attack?

No, she THOUGHT he had a "slight" breathing problem. She had me give him that treatment so I killed my friend and companion of 16 years...
That was last July 31st and it was horrible...it wouldn't have been one thing if she had done it in her office, but she had me do it at home. So I killed him. But we need to get back on topic and not hijack this thread. If you have any more questions about him just PM me...

samstar

5 Year Member
Just checked on her today and the past few days and she's doing good. Baytrill/Saline with nebulizer is the way to go, for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.