Needed suggestion for lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
This is my set up for a little red foot approx 9 mons old. Would any one be able to suggest a good UVB bulb that could give off a low level of heat as well. I have such a collection of bulbs going from when we were using a tank and need suggestions before I buy another expensive bulb. I have tried both the Zilla day white spots at 75W and 100W and both can get too hot unless the area is constantly misted (and they don't provide UVB). The lights can get moved up or down or around but I still am not having much luck. I've also tried the Zilla 20 watt desert 50 (UVB but no heat). The main heat is coming from 100 w ceramic heat emitter over the hide which keeps the day temps in the hide at low to mid 80s depending on when last misted. I need to fine tune the set up so I don't have to be forever during the day hovering over the temps and using the spray bottle.
This is a new set up, I attached a picture below and the lamps now have tie wraps so they won't fall.

tablewithplants.jpg

aboveview.jpg

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I use a Solar Glow 125wat mercury Bulb it gives off UVB and Heat I keep the temp around 90 but i am able to adjust the temps by changing the spot light level.

moswen

5 Year Member
i use t-rex mvb, it heats up their enclosure real nice, but i don't know about temps for red foots! it keeps the basking spot just right under 100 and cool ends usually end up being in the low 70's

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
zoomed 100 watt powersun bulb is good as well. i use them for my star tortoise and heats up his enclosure really well

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are pros and cons to using the same bulb for heat and light.

If you use a separate fluorescent UVB bulb for lighting only, you can turn it on for about 6-8 hours a day with other light sources on for about 12 hours, and better simulate how a day really runs, have your bulb last longer, and have less problems in case of a bulb burning out. But it is a bit trickier to balance everything.

Using separate heat sources also means you can run them at night.

As a bonus, if you use the incandescent spotlight or a sunlamp AND a fluorescent UVB bulb, you will be offering a very complete light spectrum for the tort!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
To get the UVB requirement I would go with a flourescent bulb made by a reputable manufacturer... Zoomed etc.
Then I would use a separate CHE to get the temp right, as somebody mentioned before you just need to adjust the height.

You may be able to accomplish this solely with an MVB, but you not are giving enough detailed information, and from what I am reading your UVB requirements are higher than your temp requirements. A 100watt MVB needs to be about 12" from the substrate to be of any use for UVB, and the temps generated at that distance are above 105deg.

So the combination of a flourescent for UVB and a CHE for heat is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.