Need some help with identifying if these are edible.

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi there, I recently put together a succulant bowl from our backyard but I don't know if I identified these correctly and whether they are edible to sulcatas. I'd hate to feed them the wrong things. We have grass and weeds and dandelions in the yard so that's accessible. But I want to be able to feed them other stufff from the yard too.
20220220_230658.jpg20220220_230649.jpg

I was able to learn the names of these succulants through an app but idk how aacurate it is. I was hoping someone can help me double check?

Going down the list we got:
Aeonium decorum - green pinwheel
Crassula tettagona - mini pine tree
Crassula ovata - jade plant
Crassula multicava - cape province
Sedun nussbaumerianum - orange delight
Austrocylindropuntia verschaffeltii - eve's needle??The cactus
Portulacatia afra - elephant bush

Carpobrotus edulus??? - hottentot - fig?? The thick green onion looking succulant on the side

And echeveria gibbiflora - hens and chicks

I was only able to find out jade plant, green pinwheel, and mini pine tree can be fed in moderation?

And maybe echeveria gibbiflora is edible?

I wasn't able to find the others on tortoise table.

Thanks for your help in advance.

TisMary

New York
Hi there, I recently put together a succulant bowl from our backyard but I don't know if I identified these correctly and whether they are edible to sulcatas. I'd hate to feed them the wrong things. We have grass and weeds and dandelions in the yard so that's accessible. But I want to be able to feed them other stufff from the yard too.
View attachment 340802View attachment 340803

I was able to learn the names of these succulants through an app but idk how aacurate it is. I was hoping someone can help me double check?

Going down the list we got:
Aeonium decorum - green pinwheel
Crassula tettagona - mini pine tree
Crassula ovata - jade plant
Crassula multicava - cape province
Sedun nussbaumerianum - orange delight
Austrocylindropuntia verschaffeltii - eve's needle??The cactus
Portulacatia afra - elephant bush

Carpobrotus edulus??? - hottentot - fig?? The thick green onion looking succulant on the side

And echeveria gibbiflora - hens and chicks

I was only able to find out jade plant, green pinwheel, and mini pine tree can be fed in moderation?

And maybe echeveria gibbiflora is edible?

I wasn't able to find the others on tortoise table.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Hi @Rynan. The Tortoise Table Plant Database is a great place to start - glad you looked there! Most of what you list are in the Crassulaceae family (from largest to smallest the groupings go Family, Genus, Species - there are others above and below these, but if you stick with these 3, you'll get most of the information you'll ever need).

Any species of Echeveria, Sempervivum, and Aeonium are safe. (When you see the designation "spp." as on this entry, it means that any species of that genus is included in whatever recommendation is being made - safe, do not feed, etc.) Sedum are fine except for Sedum acre.

My little guy likes any succulent I've ever given him; he love love loves Sedum morganianum, the donkey tail or burro's tail (nice and juicy!)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Once you have the names confirmed this website will help you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
But why would you want to ruin (feed) such wonderful looking succulents! ? 🤷‍♂️ 🌵🌵🌵🌵

Those look great - such a nice variety. Get & feed plain old spineless opuntia pads. Propagate & sell those succulents.