NEED OPINIONS: Outdoor Enclosure (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Since the purchase of our first tortoises in Texas (our leopards) I have been racking my brain trying to visualize how I was going to effectively construct a safe, secure, and functional outdoor enclosure. I have several issues that I have not been able to "think through". I will not have to put together an outdoor enclosure until Spring, however, I'm a planner! lol

2agsuwo.jpg

My property is the one highlighted in green. Approximately 15-acres +/-.

24o7y9h.jpg

All current fences are highlighted in green. It is a mixture of horse/pipe-fencing with welded wire field fence ontop (to keep the dogs from going out in the pasture), barbed wire (all fencing for the "pasture"), and chain link (the fence at the back of the house). Also, the barn in the back does not exist anymore, so I "greened" it out. The silver structure to the North-East of the house is a hay barn (currently full of hay). It is roughly 30'x30' and we have plans to elongate this building to 40'x50'. It will be demolished and rebuilt.

My Issues:

1. Looking at the aerial view, the neighbors to the right are a "young couple". In reality, they are older than Katie and I, however, that's not saying much. We have not had a good relationship thus far with this couple. They have been nothing but courteous, however, they allow their animals to remain on my property for weeks at a time after their horses destroy sections of fencing that I have to maintain, even though they both work from home. They did call me whenever I had a guy come out to demolish the barn in the back to alert me that someone was on my property.

2. There are stray dogs in the "neighborhood". The majority have disappeared in the last few months, however, the one who persists is a large, intact male pitbull.

3. I have 6 dogs.

4. I want to ensure security as I am completely jaded and have had far too many things I've worked hard for disappear.

With that in mind, my major concern is where I put the enclosures. Then I want to ensure security from maurading/my dogs and people with sticky-fingers.

:( My brain hurts, lol.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I know I am young and all so you dont have to listen to me, but maybe you should put the torts enclosure close to your house for security reasons. That way if something does happen you are close by. Also maybe you can get an alarm system for the enclosure so you are alerted when something enters the enclosure. Also you can make a concrete fence thats high enough so dogs or people can't jump it or see into it. If you don't like the concrete look you can always just decorate it by painting it or covering it with hay or something to make it look more natural. Also make sure the door to the enclosure is lockable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Marty on this one. Doesn't matter how big your property is, your tortoises need to be in the back yard! I would fence off a section with a 6' redwood fence, a section that includes the back yard. So you can look out the window and see what's going on in the yard. Leopards don't dig, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about making a cement border along the fence line. Just have it so there's no light showing under.

I have two and a half leopards (2 adult and 1 juvenile), not counting the two babies I just bought from Tom, and they live peacefully and happily in a yard that is appx. 16'x24'. I think that is just about the limit size for the tortoises that live there. The grass never gets too long that I have to mow it. (that's my indicator) So a fenced off area a little bigger than that would probably be ok for your tortoises.

I just had another look at your bio/sig and see that you also have sulcatas, so I guess my post goes out the window. They'll need more space! Sorry.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with the previous posts. They need to be right next to your house, and protected from your dogs and loose dogs. Dogs like to use tortoises as chew toys, I have seen that too much. Your enclosures need to be safe and secure for them, and the Leos and Sulcata need to be separate for each other.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Josh, I am envious of your land. I agree with everyone's posts. Make it safe for the tortoises, and as large as you can.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
You know, I don't really like Bing as a search engine. However, their "Aerial" and "Birdseye" views really make it easy to plan things out!

Currently whenever the tortoises are let out we keep all the dogs in the house and usually sit out there with them as we do not have an enclosure, we use several 18' posts (stacked 8" high and capped at the corners). So I've been short roughly 60sq/ft with this enclosure. However, it was honestly not meant to lasting and was used only to provide sun time.

Yvonne,

What is the size of the enclosure that you keep your sulcata in? I won't necessarily have to worry about putting them out there for a year or two considering they're only about 90 grams right now.

I never thought of putting up a privacy fence. I'll definately have to look into it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dudley's pasture without the separating inner fences (which are being knocked down daily) is about 75'x40' (rough guess). He keeps it pretty much mowed down and I only have to run the mower in there about once a year.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Given the size of your property, I'd love to see the perimeter of their enclosure consist of large boulders...that would keep them in...and your landscaping possiblities would be endless. When I first joined the forum, I mentioned that when the kids are grown, then I'm getting rid of the jungle gym and constructing a zoo-like enclosure for the torts...replete with the boulders...but I'd love to see someone beat me to the punch! Please keep us updated!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
emysemys said:
not counting the two babies I just bought from Tom

Say what? Did you post an intro thread for these little babies?!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Is that a stand of trees I see to the NW of the house? That looks like an awesome spot to me. A Fence around that and back to the house and into the backyard could make a great enclosure, and provide shade for the torts. A doghouse or lean-to next to the house could be easily setup and wired, and possibly even be legal depending on your local codes. Maybe a little pond too, go the whole garden route, make it pretty, right on your back porch.

Even if the torts don't dig, dogs and other critters do, so I'd still either pour a concrete foundation type fence or use cinder blocks or rocks dug down deep, but hey, that's me. I'd either go with a very tall privacy fence or chain link and barbwire over the top. The Rock wall sounds killer too. Motion sensors could easily be placed around the perimeter to either sound alarm or turn on floodlights to deter intruders. There's nothing wrong with security, and there are types out there that will steal anything.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
You have enough property/land to anything and as large as you want. Security for them as well as other predators would be of my concern. Near the house and common areas would be a good start.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow, you can do just about anything with that size of a place!

If it were me, I would be fine with just a chain link fence anchored in the ground really well so that nothing can break it down and high enough that nothing could jump over. I've seen photos of a sulcata enclosure here in AZ that has about 1 foot high concrete border around the enclosure, and then on top of that they had a 6 foot high chain link fence. It looked nice, created a sight barrier, and seemed impenetrable.

If you want something that looks nice, I like the boulder idea. If you're worried about the dogs though they would have to be big boulders.

As far as location goes I would agree that close to the house is the best. You could easily set up a video monitoring system too.

Status
Not open for further replies.