Need Ideas to help raise the temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Make sure the matt isnt turned on to high, and put the che in the dog house so it heats it up in there. that way, he has a nice warm spot to sleep in and can still out to 'bask'.
if you have asubstrate, you can bury the water dish a bit and make it easier to give him access.
Make sure the CHE wont melt the dog house or bo too close to the tort..
Do you have the bottom 1/2 of the dog house? That would get him off the concrete..
We use the rubber matts as well. easy to clean, thick.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
thanks guys!

and i have to laugh because I live in a one story house, no one lives above me, and i am not married! :D lol.

BUT Thanks! I didn't want to put the pig blanket in his "burrow" or "sleeping box" because I thought that is where he was going to get cool. So after reading yall's posts I put it halfway in there, half out. Then the turd started sleeping on it! and now there are turds everywhere in the enclosure - his digestion has definitely taken off. I guess due to high temps???

I am still confused if I should have his basking light pointed at the pig blanket or in a different area? and I ended up not using the CHE because it wasn't letting off enough heat.

And the water dish keeps getting dirtier and dirtier so I am not sure if he is drinking out of it or what, but he is not showing signs of dehydration so I guess I shouldn't worry about it????

He had those growth rings around his scutes, but they stopped a week or so ago. My goal is to get them to come up again. I figure if he is growing, he is happy and eating.

Thank you thank you guys for all your advice. When i get a new camera I will take pictures. My battery is dead :(

oh and I am going to caulk it this week and insulate it more.

bdkimone

5 Year Member
Drop the ceiling to reduce the space to heat.
If that does not work- use an oil filled heater (appx $40 at walmart or Home Depot)
Safe and effective.

M

Maggie Cummings

janiedough said:
thanks guys!

and i have to laugh because I live in a one story house, no one lives above me, and i am not married! :D lol.

BUT Thanks! I didn't want to put the pig blanket in his "burrow" or "sleeping box" because I thought that is where he was going to get cool. So after reading yall's posts I put it halfway in there, half out. Then the turd started sleeping on it! and now there are turds everywhere in the enclosure - his digestion has definitely taken off. I guess due to high temps???

I am still confused if I should have his basking light pointed at the pig blanket or in a different area? and I ended up not using the CHE because it wasn't letting off enough heat.

And the water dish keeps getting dirtier and dirtier so I am not sure if he is drinking out of it or what, but he is not showing signs of dehydration so I guess I shouldn't worry about it????

He had those growth rings around his scutes, but they stopped a week or so ago. My goal is to get them to come up again. I figure if he is growing, he is happy and eating.

Thank you thank you guys for all your advice. When i get a new camera I will take pictures. My battery is dead :(

oh and I am going to caulk it this week and insulate it more.

Basking area and sleeping area are different. So the basking light needs to be in one spot and the pig blanket is in another spot. Sorry about that, I just always assume that everybody is married but me. However, it sounds like you are getting him straightened away with all the poop. That's a great sign and I am glad we could help you. Get some styrofoam insulation and put it on your walls. You buy it cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's and you can nail it over the wall without any husband help:p

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
maggie3fan said:
Basking area and sleeping area are different. So the basking light needs to be in one spot and the pig blanket is in another spot. Sorry about that, I just always assume that everybody is married but me. However, it sounds like you are getting him straightened away with all the poop. That's a great sign and I am glad we could help you. Get some styrofoam insulation and put it on your walls. You buy it cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's and you can nail it over the wall without any husband help:p

Thanks guys!

I bought a clear car floor mat for $2 at Wal-Mart and made that his doggy door.

It went down to 31* yesterday - COLD for South Louisiana! And Percy's thermometer did get down to 56*, but it is away from his heat sources and the pig blanket.

He keeps eating and pooping, so I think he is ok!

I will update with pictures soon.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
how did the Donoghue Ratio thing go?

i use this to get exact temperatures of my tortoises that are outside in the cold, but in their hot boxes. it keeps me sleeping sound at night knowing they are warm, regardless what the box, dirt, or anything is.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984

point the laser at your tortoise, and it will give you their temp. press and hold, and move the laser to different parts of the tortoise to see the ranges in temps.

i use an oil heater in a small wooden box, and my tort sleeps next to it, so the part that is next to it is always warmer than the part that is not.

hope this was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.