Need help IDing my Greek, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannette

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello, I'm caring for an ill & injured Greek for our local reptile store and am wondering if you can help me identify which kind it is. From your description, I thought it sounded like the T. g. Antakyensis (specifically the Syrian animal, being that he/she seems lighter colored)...I'm not totally sure after viewing your photos. Thank you!!
Here are some photos of him/her.
Buzzo1.jpg

Buzzo2.jpg

GTortPlastron.jpg

GTortTailview-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeanette:

Those are great I.D. photos. I'm sending this link to a couple of our members who are more familiar with the Greek tortoise. I think they both work, so they may not answer until this evening.

B K

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Jeanette:

Those are great I.D. photos. I'm sending this link to a couple of our members who are more familiar with the Greek tortoise. I think they both work, so they may not answer until this evening.

Can you tell if it is a male or female?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I couldn't get a good look at the tail, but my impression was male because of the concave plastron.

Jeannette

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thank you...
I think it is a male. Although I don't have a female for comparison, 'his' tail seems fat/long and his plastron definitely has a concave appearance that runs along the medial, longitudinal aspect. Is there something else I should examine?
Also, I am wondering approximately how much should these animals weigh?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you pick him up it should feel like you are picking up a rock of the same size, not an empty shell full of air.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am thinking a Testudo graeca nabeulensis or as you say a jordanian greek,
Either one of these do not get that big, around 14 cm is the average size of Testudo graeca nabeulensis.
Does it have a concave plastron?
I am looking at the scutes and thinking female, but i am not sure.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with you. I think it's a T. g. Antakyensis too - it looks a lot like mine.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Looks like a male Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp., to me. :).

How long is he (measure the carapace (top shell) in a straight line)? and how much does he weigh?

Danny

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
egyptiandan said:
Looks like a male Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp., to me. :).

How long is he (measure the carapace (top shell) in a straight line)? and how much does he weigh?

Danny
:D I got the Jordanian half right, but I had him down as a she. Oops.

I am getting better though. :cool:

Jeannette

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks, you guys and gals!! I was wondering how much an average weight should be for "Buzzo" once I had this info figured out...I haven't measured, but I will in the morning. I was thinking it was a male (due to the tail thickness and length) and the plastron is concave. I can take a photo with light casting a shadow to show just how concave, if you want? Yvonne, you mentioned female from the scutes...what are you looking at? (I'm learning here) :)
Anyway, this tort weighs 485-490 grams. He feels solid ('like a rock', as was mentioned earlier), but I like to go by approximate numbers. Sometimes, the first sign of a sick animal is weight loss. This can be difficult to tell by just picking up and seeing 'how heavy' they feel. Is he 480g or 450g? This is why your vet always weighs his/her patient. I know this tort is acting abnormal, therefore I weigh him on a scale every day. He is maintaining his weight between 485-490g. Do some of you have weights on yours (of the same species)? I will get the measurement posted, so we can compare similar sized animals. ;-)
Thanks again! :)

Jeannette

5 Year Member
Oregon
OK, I measured Buzzo - his carapace, from neck to tail, is only 5.5 inches long (a straight line measurement). I think he finally ate last night (some pieces of kale)! Not 100% sure, but I couldn't find any dried up pieces, so I'm guessing he ingested it...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Jeannette said:
Thanks, you guys and gals!! I was wondering how much an average weight should be for "Buzzo" once I had this info figured out...I haven't measured, but I will in the morning. I was thinking it was a male (due to the tail thickness and length) and the plastron is concave. I can take a photo with light casting a shadow to show just how concave, if you want? Yvonne, you mentioned female from the scutes...what are you looking at? (I'm learning here) :)
Anyway, this tort weighs 485-490 grams. He feels solid ('like a rock', as was mentioned earlier), but I like to go by approximate numbers. Sometimes, the first sign of a sick animal is weight loss. This can be difficult to tell by just picking up and seeing 'how heavy' they feel. Is he 480g or 450g? This is why your vet always weighs his/her patient. I know this tort is acting abnormal, therefore I weigh him on a scale every day. He is maintaining his weight between 485-490g. Do some of you have weights on yours (of the same species)? I will get the measurement posted, so we can compare similar sized animals. ;-)

I was just looking at how wide apart they are on the plastron, but if Danny says its a male, then its a male,
he is one of the best with greeks (then me, only joking Danny)!

Status
Not open for further replies.