Native Gopher Tort moves in

Maddoggy

Location (City and/or State)
Vero Beach Florida
Here is a pic of a native Gopher tortoise who decided to dig a burrow next to my sulcatas outdoor enclosure. She was here before me Im sure but I left her a quarter of an acre to choose a home . She is free to leave anytime she wants but she seems to have set up camp. Ok with me . At least I know she's safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 15

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
This isn't really an ideal situation for either tortoise. Florida gopher tortoises can carry multiple bacterial and viral diseases that pose a risk to your sulcata. Your sulcata can also carry diseases that are dangerous to the gopher tortoise.
Keep them as far apart as you possibly can.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Pretty interesting. Better watch out! I can see the Gopher tort digging under the fence & them making a break.

We’ve been down to Florida on a few occasions & have enjoyed some interesting encounters with Gopher torts. They can really scamper quickly back into their burrows.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
This isn't really an ideal situation for either tortoise. Florida gopher tortoises can carry multiple bacterial and viral diseases that pose a risk to your sulcata. Your sulcata can also carry diseases that are dangerous to the gopher tortoise.
I considered that I know the bacterial flora of a native species can play havoc on foreign species. The gopher had several hundred square feet that I purposely left untouched for her away from houses and enclosures where she set up shop and thrived for many years. It's uncanny how she traveled out of her way and dug a burrow next to my sulcata enclosure. As much as I hate to Im probably going to have to call a gopher tortoise relocator and have her relocated. Thanks for posting

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
That particular Gopher tortoise was relocated to Indio preserve, I took your advice. I knew you were right!!!