Nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

Do you cut your tort's nails?

If so, how long are they when you wait to cut them? And how do you cut them?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I was wondering the same thing and some one told me they walk their sulcata a couple times a week on the cement. Like a dog. Or I guess I should say let your tortoise walk on cement. Here its easy because the cement doesn't heat up too bad but I know in Arizona you cant really walk around barefoot, so your torts feet might get burned... I'm curious too though cuz the new leo I got has nails that are an inch long. I can kinda see the quick but I'm scared to trim them.

I

Italianlnm

Well both of my sullies are really small. And I am also scared to trim them.. I don't know how long or what the length should be.. Or how to go about doing it.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't clip my older tortoises who live outdoors full time and I don't think their nails are too long. But Moose is a yearling, still lives mostly indoors and I have clipped his nails once since I got him a few weeks ago. It is easiest if their nails are light - you can see the "quick" or pinkish part that shouldn't be cut into. I just use sterialized fingernail clippers and snip the "white" portion of the nail, below the "pinkish" part. If your tortoise has dark nails, then I would only snip a bit, look at the nail and see if you see an opening (a little hole), if not snip a tiny bit more. If you are too nervous to do it yourself, ask your vet to show you next time you go in...in the meantime, a rough tile, walking outdoors on cement, or rocks will help wear them down, but that's a lot of walking...like an outdoor tortoise might do. BTW, I have dogs who walk a lot on cement often, but I still have to clip their nails occasionally. Hope that helps:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have a natural approach in that I have rocks, slate tiles, and other hard surfaces in my indoor enclosure. My tort's nails and beak naturally get wore down. If I noticed them getting long, I might take a bit of sandpaper or a file, but I don't think they need to be cut unless in pretty severe cases. If they truly need to be cut, I'd want to have a vet or other experienced professional do it while I watch, and have that powder on hand in case they bleed. Tort's nails should have a little bit of length and curvature to them, especially for species which dig and females. That's my opinion! Best wishes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If your sullys are small more than likely they do not need their nails clipped yet. If you post a pic we would be happy to let you know if they are too long. I feel if you are not sure have a vet clip them. Torts are not always cooperative with having their nails or beak trimmed and it is best to be shown by your vet at least the first time or two. JMHO

shackleton

10 Year Member!
NYC metro
I do trim my guy's nails, with a small regular "people" nail clipper.

He's cool with it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.