My two year old tortoises eyes ain’t open all the way.

Madison1234

Location (City and/or State)
Mt
So my two year old tortoise has been scratching his eyes and they seem swollen. He takes a while to open them and he is not opening as wide as he used too. I can see his third eyelid and it is also not opening all the way. What should I do?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my two year old tortoise has been scratching his eyes and they seem swollen. He takes a while to open them and he is not opening as wide as he used too. I can see his third eyelid and it is also not opening all the way. What should I do?!
What species?
What size? At two years old this could be a 100 gram star or a 30 pound sulcata.
Where are you?
What temperatures?
What lighting are you using?
What UV? Mercury vapor bulb? Cfl? We need to know the type of bulb, not the brand or UV percentage. Is it a tube type HO? What distance over the tortoise is it mounted?

Madison1234

Mt
What species?
What size? At two years old this could be a 100 gram star or a 30 pound sulcata.
Where are you?
What temperatures?
What UV? Mercury vapor bulb? Cfl? We need to know the type of bulb, not the brand or UV percentage. Is it a tube type HO? What distance over the tortoise is it mounted?
What species?
Where are you?
What temperatures?
He’s an eastern Herman’s tortoise no bigger than the palm of my hand. I’m I

Madison1234

Mt
Sorry I accidentally posted that without finishing . I’m in Mt so it’s pretty dry, but I’ve been soaking him. Also I don’t know what kind of light it is but I think it’s just heat and not uv.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Post a picture of the enclosure and lights if you don't know what they are exactly. That will help.

Madison1234

Mt
Here’s the cage and I have a before and after picture of his eyes. Also I just realized I wrote “ my tortoises eyes ain’t open all the way” I meant won’t open all the way sorry 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3223.png
    IMG_3223.png
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3227.png
    IMG_3227.png
    728.2 KB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Stop using the light.
I can't tell what it is. But it's not correct and its most likely what is causing the irritation. (My guess. Based on dozens of other issues like yours)
Is is a mini mvb?
It might be projecting a small, bright area of light.
What is your uvb source?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here’s the cage and I have a before and after picture of his eyes. Also I just realized I wrote “ my tortoises eyes ain’t open all the way” I meant won’t open all the way sorry 🙂
I agree that you have the wrong lights, but I'm not so sure that is the cause of too particular problem. It looks like a halogen on the right and a blue/black light for night time on the left? Neither of those should be used with tortoises. Halogens will cause pyramiding and tortoise need it dark at night. It appears that you are missing UV, ambient heat, and ambient light. All of that and more is explained here:

Here are some common causes of eye issues. Let's try to eliminate them:
1. Sand. I don't see any sand there.
2. Excessive dryness. You've got an open topped enclosure. Humidity is too low.
3. Dusty substrate. You've got the right substrate, but it looks bone dry. Dry orchid bark is very dusty.
4. Wrong UV bulb, or right UV bulb mounted incorrectly. If you aren't using an indoor UV bulb, this is not the problem.
5. Sickness. Typically brought on by chronic stress and/or cold temperatures.

Madison1234

Mt
You mean Montana? MT?
Yes Montana
I agree that you have the wrong lights, but I'm not so sure that is the cause of too particular problem. It looks like a halogen on the right and a blue/black light for night time on the left? Neither of those should be used with tortoises. Halogens will cause pyramiding and tortoise need it dark at night. It appears that you are missing UV, ambient heat, and ambient light. All of that and more is explained here:

3. Dusty substrate. You've got the right substrate, but it looks bone dry. Dry orchid bark is very dusty.
4. Wrong UV bulb, or right UV bulb mounted incorrectly. If you aren't using an indoor UV bulb, this is not the problem.
Thank you so much for that info! So do you have a particular brand of lights that are best for tortoises and if it is the lights bothering him is it serious and how can I fix it? Also would there be other signs he would be showing if he was sick vs just eye irritation?

Madison1234

Mt

Also do you think it’s worth taking him to the vet or can I just do something to help him at home?

Madison1234

Mt
So we took him to the vet and they say that he has an upper respiratory infection and will need antibiotics. Is this common for a tortoise or is this really serious? The vet does not have much experience with tortoises but does anyone have advice?

Madison1234

Mt
Also they say the antibiotics are only in shots that I have to give him at home! Does anyone how have had to do that to their tortoise before have any advice either?