My tortoise is not happy

Tallulah16

Location (City and/or State)
Staffordshire
So I recently got terry my Russian tortoise from a family with two dogs and a little boy he’s 9 years and a half and they let him out a lot on the ground and he just roamed around not aggressive in any way but ever since he’s been with me every time I go near his enclosure to put some food or water in or just to see what he’s doing he head bops very violently I have seen that it’s apparently a sign of anger so I try to leave him be as much as possible but anytime you are near his enclosure he comes up to the side head bopping or if you put food in he charges at my hand trying to bite me I’ve been really trying to leave him be but still any time I come near he’s just not happy wondering if any of you have any advice.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It is normal behavior for a testudo. It isnt because hes unhappy, theyre just territorial and he doesnt see you as a threat anymore so hes happy to have a bop, as you put it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It could just be that he's getting used to the changes he's had.
if you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get great advice on any changes you may need to make to make sure he's happy and healthy.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So I recently got terry my Russian tortoise from a family with two dogs and a little boy he’s 9 years and a half and they let him out a lot on the ground and he just roamed around not aggressive in any way but ever since he’s been with me every time I go near his enclosure to put some food or water in or just to see what he’s doing he head bops very violently I have seen that it’s apparently a sign of anger so I try to leave him be as much as possible but anytime you are near his enclosure he comes up to the side head bopping or if you put food in he charges at my hand trying to bite me I’ve been really trying to leave him be but still any time I come near he’s just not happy wondering if any of you have any advice.
Tortoises bob their heads when they're smelling the air too. It could just be that he associates humans with food so everytime you come around he's smelling for it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could also mean he's living in a too small enclosure. He's trying to protect his space and keep you out. Can we please see pictures of where he lives?