My rescued baby tortoise

Baby Olive

Location (City and/or State)
Athens
Hi, I rescued a baby tortoise from the road, size of my thumb. Judging by the shell, I believe it is a female. I have her indoors, in a shallow big plastic box with small stones & small rocks near a window & have been feeding her lettuce, finely grated carrot & dandelion flowers. Up until now she has been eating, but now she is not moving much or eating. I place her in the small shallow dish with water for a few seconds & place her near her food but she crawls back to her corner. Is she trying to hibernate? Is it dangerous as she is so small? I hear her moving about slightly in the early evening when the radiators come on as it is warmer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to see her to know what species she is. Putting her by a window does very little to nothing. Uvb can not go thru glass and screen. If it's cold where you are, the window is the colder area. Sun will give some heat and light is all.
If this is a native species then it should be put back where you found it but not in the road. They should never be taken from the wild if they are native.
Post a pic so we can figure out what it is.

Baby Olive

Athens
It is not too cold during the day about 10 degrees. Last year I found another one, I picked it up off the road & moved it to the mountain by the road. When I walked my dogs later, it went back & was run over. This is why I took this one home. I live in Greece, near the sea.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_090300.jpg
    IMG_20231104_090300.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When picking them up off the road, they need to be placed away from the road, but on the side of the road that they were heading for. When they are placed on the side they came from, they almost always will head back to the way they were heading
Most people always put them in the side of the road they are closest too and that's usually the side they were coming from. Then they will turn and head back across the road
This one is likely native, and should be put back.
But if you won't do that, then it needs to be set up properly in an enclosed chamber enclosure with proper lights, heat and humidity and a proper diet.

Baby Olive

Athens
Thank you, I didn't put it back on the side of the road, I put it on the mountain.

I have become attached to my Olive so I have just bought some light/heating for her. I am giving her fresh lettuce, carrots finely grated & some flowers like dandelions as she likes those. When it is sunny & warm, I take her outside in a very big plant pot whilst I am also outside. When hopefully she will grow bigger, she can go on the lawn. I will look out also at other threads & hopefully pick up advice. Thank you for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, I didn't put it back on the side of the road, I put it on the mountain.

I have become attached to my Olive so I have just bought some light/heating for her. I am giving her fresh lettuce, carrots finely grated & some flowers like dandelions as she likes those. When it is sunny & warm, I take her outside in a very big plant pot whilst I am also outside. When hopefully she will grow bigger, she can go on the lawn. I will look out also at other threads & hopefully pick up advice. Thank you for you.
Hello and welcome. It is critical that you create an indoor environment with the correct temperatures, humidity, and lighting for this baby.

Here is all the correct care info to help you. There is a heating and lighting guide and a temperate species care sheet to help you near the bottom. Questions are welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like a baby Greek tortoise.
I'm no expert, but I've repeatedly read that there are no greek tortoises in Greece. Marginata and hermanni only. I wonder if that is some of that old wrong info from the old days...

Baby Olive

Athens
Where I live, I have seen many, usually I see big adult ones near the mountain. This is the second baby I have found & decided to keep this one since it was so small. There are snakes also on the mountain & I was afraid for it.