My new tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

siany

5 Year Member
Hi there my name is Sian, I have 2 Russian torts, both females! I live in Staffordshire.

I hope you guys can help me out here :/ my partner now ex partner bought our kids 2 tortoises for Christmas! They are new to me as I have never really been a reptile person! I have been watching them and feeding them and I really have took to them! I have not yet picked one up myself but now he has left I need to do my best for them!

I have started reading up on them as to what I need to do to care for them and how they live! One of them seems to be biting into thin air when trying to eat the food and seems to have a runny eye she was rubbing it too:/ I hope she is ok and u guys can give me some tips!

Also we have not named them and would appreciate your ideas :)

Thankyou xx

Attachments

• image-3133441892.png
    image-3133441892.png
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • image-115813427.png
    image-115813427.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 33

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sian:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Glad to have you with us.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome to the forum! You have some cute little Russians there.

Regarding the one's eye issues, do you have a UVB bulb over them? If so, what kind it is? Or, if you don't know, could you tell us what style of bulbs are over them? Specifically, are any of them a compact fluorescent bulb? If so, this could be a large part of why the one is having trouble seeing and has runny eyes. Compact fluorescent UVB bulbs have been known to cause serious and painful eye problems, even leading to blindness and, in extreme cases, death. If there are any compact fluorescent bulbs over them, please remove them and look into better UVB options.

That one may also have some sort of eye infection, so you may want to start looking into good reptile vets in your area.

Other than that, the best advice I can give is to browse around the forum and read as much as you can. Especially focus on the Russian Tortoise forum (under Mediterranean Tortoises) below, as well as the Enclosures, Diet and Food, and Health sections. Another great resource for you to look at would be http://russiantortoise.org. It's a great website that talks about the care and maintenance of Russian tortoises, specifically.

I hope this is helpful to you!

siany

5 Year Member
Thankyou very much Floof that is so helpful currently in the process of finding out what the light is hope she will be ok. X

Status
Not open for further replies.