My new Star-Torty

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Last week I bought a new Star about 2.8inches in length. I think he's a male and I am naming him Torty. I gave my 2nd baby star away to my neighbour who is a very experienced keeper which I also gave my first star to.
I will again be naming him Torty and I think he's a male from his long tail, slightly elongated body, slightly concave plastron. I decided to get a Star that is bigger than the one's I had before as they are hardier. I just sent his poop to the vet today to test for parasites, worms, protazoa etc etc...Hope all goes well.
So is Torty a male?

Attachments

• IMG00159-20091206-1405.jpg
    IMG00159-20091206-1405.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG00160-20091206-1405.jpg
    IMG00160-20091206-1405.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG00161-20091206-1406.jpg
    IMG00161-20091206-1406.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG00158-20091206-1405.jpg
    IMG00158-20091206-1405.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG00157-20091206-1404.jpg
    IMG00157-20091206-1404.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 79

J_Foster

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
samstar said:
So is Torty a male?

Judging from those last two pics, I'd say yes probably. But sexing young tortoises is one of the most difficult things to do, so don't necessarily bank on it. I have 3 five inchers of which I'm still not 100% sure what sex they are. I have a pretty good idea, but I'm not completely certain.
- Jim
P.S. Who can afford to just give star tortoises away in this economy???:( Must be nice. If you do it again, call me next.:D:D:D

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Thats a fine looking tortoise you got there Samstar!
Judging from the last pic I would agree as well. Since the animal is still relatively small if you want a more definitive answer ask the breeder what temps the clutch was incubated at.
Congratulations on your new addition.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats! So cute too. Torty is a great name. I think it is way too early to sex that tortoise. Mine is even larger and I think the verdict is still out (I have two conflicting expert opinions). Glad to hear he is getting a parasite test. Good luck with that. Planning to get his health checked out too? What is he eating?

Why the reptile carpet? I suggest more hides, a larger enclosure, cage furnishings such as hides or even fake plants breaking up the line of sight, and a slate tile to feed on to wear down the beak and nails. Can the tortoise use the water dish safely? I would help him in and out and watch to make sure he can easily get in and out without getting off balance.

Best wishes.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
G Elegans are able to be somewhat reliably sexed around the 4 inch mark (at least in my experience) so I wouldn't necessarily say its way too early.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I agree with Kate. Fake plants, hides, and rocks will really liven up the place. You can get fake plants at your local craft store, and sometimes a hardware store.. but then tend to be more expensive when you go to hardware stores. It will keep you tort interested and give him places to explore. The more empty space you can fill, the larger the enclosure will seem to your little guy.

samstar

5 Year Member
This is enclosure is just temporary, I will be building a 5' x 2.5' tort table for it

Thanks for the replies friends. Tomorrow I start on it's first dose which is 0.2cc of Panacur followed in 2 weeks the same dose. On the 3rd week I will check it's poop again with the vet. He is now about 88 grams and 2.8 inch in length. Is this the recomended dosage usually? Basically two dosages, one tomorrow and the other in 2 weeks time. It's what the vet recomended.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It depends if you have the daily dose or the type that is given three days in a row. But the two weeks between doses thing is right. I don't know about the cc because it depends what strength the vet gave you. Lots of variables which is why it is good you went to the professional! So glad to hear about the tort table. Make sure to have high enough sides for substrate. The bigger the better, You can block off part of it until Torty grows so then you can still expand it.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
It depends if you have the daily dose or the type that is given three days in a row. But the two weeks between doses thing is right. I don't know about the cc because it depends what strength the vet gave you. Lots of variables which is why it is good you went to the professional! So glad to hear about the tort table. Make sure to have high enough sides for substrate. The bigger the better, You can block off part of it until Torty grows so then you can still expand it.

Thanks. Today I gave it, it's first dose and it ate all of it which I spread the paste on lettuce leaves. Next dose is in two weeks time and feces sample test in threee weeks. Hope all is cleared by than. Also yesterday the vet showed me the worm eggs under the microscope which was oval in shape. Very interesting. Which would be easiest and best substrate to maintain? How is rainforest substrate which consist of grade pine bark chippings?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Do not use pine as it is toxic. What material is rainforest substrate made of? As Stars need low humidity from what I have heard, aspen could be an option, but I would want someone who owns Stars to comment what is appropriate. You may have luck doing a forum search, or starting a new thread. As long as you watch to make sure he eats all the lettuce, that is fine. I hand feed it to my little guy and fold over the lettuce to the paste doesn't get on his face. I recently read a book called "Understanding Reptile Parasites" that I got from my library. It went over the common reptile parasites, how to prevent them, how to treat them, and the importance of prevention/treatment. Quite a good short read at maybe 50 pages including pictures. I couldn't find anything online like it.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Samstar,
I'll share with you a natural and nutrtious way to help keep internal parasites under control once the initial parasite burden has been addressed. It has been time proven and results were confirmed by a veterinarian using comparative slides on everything from Redfoots to Radiateds.
Its safe, nutritious, veterinarian approved and has given me excellent results for a decade.
During the Spring and Summer months in most areas you can find a weed called Broadleaf Plantain growing rather abundantly. Find the plants that have a stalk and collect these as this is where the seeds are held. Let these dry out until the majority of the moisture has dissipated.
Next you will need a handful of fresh shelled pumpkin seeds. Throw your ingredients into the blender and grind them until you have a fine powder. Sprinkle the mixture on moistened greens twice a week. Make sure to provide a high fiber diet as both ingredients can cause loose stool.
And there you have it. Two natural and nutritional ingredients that just happen to have antiparasitic properties.
Once again let me stress this IS NOT intended to take place of initial worming procedures and is not a magic bullet but rather a useful tool to help keep reinfestation to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.