My month old sulcata

adriantan

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi! We have our month old sulcata and I was wondering what is the usual rule of thumb when it comes to feeding our tortoise. I have read online that overfeeding tortoises is a hazard and can cause problems so I was wondering how much is too much. And their enclosure tends to get a bit dry after a while should I be spraying it often to keep the humidity up? We were also planning to place some sphagnum moss in their hide just to cool them down and we are not sure how to prepare it. Do we have to soak it? Or just wash it then drain it? Also since they are only young should they be getting outside time? It's quite rainy here during the summer and what my plan was when it started to mostly stop raining throughout the day we can build him an outdoor pen consisting of water, a hide, wood fencing and a screen top to protect him from mosquitoes. Do you think it's a good idea? And if so do we need some more stuff to put with him to make sure he will be fine outside. We will be placing it in the grass so I feel like them grazing or eating shouldn't be a primary problem.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs,CO
Hi! We have our month old sulcata and I was wondering what is the usual rule of thumb when it comes to feeding our tortoise. I have read online that overfeeding tortoises is a hazard and can cause problems so I was wondering how much is too much. And their enclosure tends to get a bit dry after a while should I be spraying it often to keep the humidity up? We were also planning to place some sphagnum moss in their hide just to cool them down and we are not sure how to prepare it. Do we have to soak it? Or just wash it then drain it? Also since they are only young should they be getting outside time? It's quite rainy here during the summer and what my plan was when it started to mostly stop raining throughout the day we can build him an outdoor pen consisting of water, a hide, wood fencing and a screen top to protect him from mosquitoes. Do you think it's a good idea? And if so do we need some more stuff to put with him to make sure he will be fine outside. We will be placing it in the grass so I feel like them grazing or eating shouldn't be a primary problem.
Sphagnum moss is an impaction risk, don’t buy it. Feed your tortoise all it wants. Tortoises are natural grazers in the wild, and eat when they want. As long as you have enough space for your tortoise to move around, he will not become overweight. The rule for how long outside is an hour per inch. Read this care sheet, it will explain everything you need...