My Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponypam

5 Year Member
Hi! My name is Pam and I live in SE Washington state. On this past Monday I answered a Craiglist ad for a free tortoise and ended up with what I think is a Homes Hingeback. She (haven't determined yet but by the flat plasteron I am thinking female) is 7 years old. I didn't ask what the previous owner called her, wanted to start fresh with a new name. My daughter likes Sherlock Holmes. We will see. So far she has been really shy but from what I have been reading up on these Hingebacks that is normal. Haven't seen her eat yet and she scatters her food so much it's hard to tell but I supect she is spoiled for iceberg lettuce. When I picked her up there was a whole head of lettuce in her tank (which the owner gave me along with the lights! I have moved her into a bigger tank.) I have only been able to see her head from a distance but it looks like her eyes are clear and healthy looking. My only real concern is one her hind legs. When she closes her hinge the left one stays on the outside. It looks like it would be painful and when I watched her walking yesterday it didn't look like she used that leg much. If I touch the foot while she is closed down she will pull it in a ways but there isn't far for her to go what with that hinge closed. I am just going to keep an eye on it. In the picture the original owner emailed me she is definately using that leg.

I am very excited about her, it's good to have a tortoise again. My real love is sulcatas, I had one years ago. Franklin. She was about 7 years old and weighted about 75 lbs. Beautiful animal. During the summer she lived outside in the backyard, had two dens and ate every dandylion bloom that dared pop up. During the winter I brought her inside where she had a basking light which she visited, otherwise she roamed around the house. We left for a couple days at Christmas and when we came home, she was still in the same spot we left her, only dead! Never did know why and I miss her to this day.

I will try and post a picture of Sherlock. And I just want to say I am thankful for this site, I have learned so much already and I LOVE the pictures!

DSC_0134.JPGDSC_0137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Poor Sherlock. She looks very dry. I'll never understand why someone will pay good money for a rare-in-the-pet-trade tortoise and then not take good care of it. Thank goodness a caring person (YOU!!!) answered the Craigslist ad!!!

Hi Pam:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Ponypam

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the welcomes. Yes, she was very dry and very cold when I first picked her up. The owner was in the process of moving into a new home and didn't have the lights plucked in. I have been giving her lots of warm soaks and misting her often. Also keeping her very warm. Today was nice and sunny but cold outside so I pulled her out and let her soak up some sunshine. She pulled her front legs apart just a teeny tiny bit like "I see you but you can't see me!" While in her enclosure, she relaxes and has her head out and is letting me get closer before she pops back in.

I think the previous owner deeply cared for this tortoise but she was young and had 3 very young kids and the move and everything and just didn't have any time to spare for her. He seems to be healthy as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.