My Herman doesn't seem to eat much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

5 Year Member
Hi All

I'm a newbie when it comes to owning a tortoise and even though i read numerous articles/sites before I became a lucky owner, I still have a million and one qestions...although my main one concerns me the most.

My Herman (George) is 3 years old male and moved in with me on Sunday. I went weed picking and found loads of Dandelions and clover and purchased dark and green lettuce at my supermarket + Tomato & Cucumber....but he eats hardly anything...he has nibbled about 3 lettuce leaves in his 3 days of being here...

He is active and is quite a fast mover, but im worried he wil run out of energy soon..

Do you think its just nerves and he will build up an appetite soon?

I weighed him when he arrived and he was 370g, but today he was 366g - so im worried he's lost some weight as well.

He had a shallow bath yesterday and did his first poo (which looked liked a line of wed mud) so I know he's not constipated.

Regards

Dylan & George

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Dylan said:
Hi All

I'm a newbie when it comes to owning a tortoise and even though i read numerous articles/sites before I became a lucky owner, I still have a million and one qestions...although my main one concerns me the most.

My Herman (George) is 3 years old male and moved in with me on Sunday. I went weed picking and found loads of Dandelions and clover and purchased dark and green lettuce at my supermarket + Tomato & Cucumber....but he eats hardly anything...he has nibbled about 3 lettuce leaves in his 3 days of being here...

He is active and is quite a fast mover, but im worried he wil run out of energy soon..

I weighed him when he arrived and he was 370g, but today he was 366g - so im worried he's lost some weight as well.

He had a shallow bath yesterday and did his first poo (which looked liked a line of wed mud) so I know he's not constipated.

Regards

Dylan & George

I know this is kinda gross, but did you examine his "poop" for worms? Always a good idea when you get a new tort, and if you see anything, your vet can take care of it.

Have you allowed him to soak? This is a VERY GOOD IDEA and you can never do it too often (I soak mine every other day, myself).

Are you keeping him inside or out? Sunlight is VERY important, so even if he lives inside, make sure he gets an average of an hour or so a day (3 hours a day, 2-3X a week can work).

Now, on to his diet...every tort has individual likes/dislikes...my new female, Ophelia really likes grass, while Jennifer, my longer held female, cares nothing for it...otoh, she eats cactus pads like she thinks she'll never see another, while Ophelia eats them sparingly. Both like Spring Mix, Sow Thistle, Turnip greens, Collard greens, Dandelion greens and flowers, clover, mulberry leaves grape leaves, and assorted other dark green veggies.

Lastly, it often takes a week or so until a tortoise is completely comfortable in his/her new home. Give him a good soak often, some suntime and make sure he always has tasty things to eat and he'll soon be chowing down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dylan:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Dylan

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Dylan said:
Hi All

Regards

Dylan & George

I know this is kinda gross, but did you examine his "poop" for worms? Always a good idea when you get a new tort, and if you see anything, your vet can take care of it.

Have you allowed him to soak? This is a VERY GOOD IDEA and you can never do it too often (I soak mine every other day, myself).

Are you keeping him inside or out? Sunlight is VERY important, so even if he lives inside, make sure he gets an average of an hour or so a day (3 hours a day, 2-3X a week can work).

Now, on to his diet...every tort has individual likes/dislikes...my new female, Ophelia really likes grass, while Jennifer, my longer held female, cares nothing for it...otoh, she eats cactus pads like she thinks she'll never see another, while Ophelia eats them sparingly. Both like Spring Mix, Sow Thistle, Turnip greens, Collard greens, Dandelion greens and flowers, clover, mulberry leaves grape leaves, and assorted other dark green veggies.

Lastly, it often takes a week or so until a tortoise is completely comfortable in his/her new home. Give him a good soak often, some suntime and make sure he always has tasty things to eat and he'll soon be chowing down.

Thanks for replying Terry, I've just checked for worms, but couldn't find anything!!

I've soaked him twice (ten mins each time) - i've read numeous threads that soaking helps with eating, but i'm not sure how??

He has 2 homes - A vivarium (indoor) when wet outside with a heat/basking lamp and a uv light (32c one end and 25c the other). Plus a walled garden, although he hasnt had a chance to experience this yet due to UK weather!!

I am converting my garden shed (6ft x 6ft) to become a large den/vivarium, so that he has plenty of room in wet weather... should be finished this weekend..

I'm having difficulty in locating a few foods you mentioned, but i'll keep looking..

Fingers crossed he'll have at appetite soon.. he hasn't eaten anything today and ive just weighed him and he's lost another 5grams in weight - going to soak him for longer now, just in case he's dehydrated.

Regards

Dylan

emysemys said:
Hi Dylan:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Hi - Im in the UK (Herts)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what was her eating before you got him? ask them.. but give him time to adjust. Dont handle him, just let him be and make sure he is warm enough and has the proper lighting.

a lot of times, you will not see worms in the poop. They are too tiny or egg form. A vet needs to check it under a microscope.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd continue to offer him food, make sure that he stays well hydrated and allow him to become acclimated to his new surroundings. It's not at all uncommon for a tortoise in a new environment to not eat for a few days, a week or even longer. From what you are saying about his activity level I wouldn't jump the gun just yet and assume that there is a health problem. Him being that active from the very beginning is a good sign.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Dylan said:
Thanks for replying Terry, I've just checked for worms, but couldn't find anything!!

I've soaked him twice (ten mins each time) - i've read numeous threads that soaking helps with eating, but i'm not sure how??

He has 2 homes - A vivarium (indoor) when wet outside with a heat/basking lamp and a uv light (32c one end and 25c the other). Plus a walled garden, although he hasnt had a chance to experience this yet due to UK weather!!

I am converting my garden shed (6ft x 6ft) to become a large den/vivarium, so that he has plenty of room in wet weather... should be finished this weekend..

I'm having difficulty in locating a few foods you mentioned, but i'll keep looking..

Fingers crossed he'll have at appetite soon.. he hasn't eaten anything today and ive just weighed him and he's lost another 5grams in weight - going to soak him for longer now, just in case he's dehydrated.

Regards

Dylan

One idea that I've not yet tried, but plan to build this summer, is a small greenhouse, with a hideaway inside it, so that, on cool days, my torts can warm up in the greenhouse, and come out in the sun when they want to...thus, I should be able to keep them out year round, w/o them hibernating. This would be something to think about for your walled garden.

Generally, I let mine soak about a 1/2 hour each, in 10 minute increments...1st increment, they always poop, 2nd increment, they sometimes poop again, 3rd time they're pretty well cleaned out, but can drink and absorb.

Try ethnic grocers for cactus pads...one of mine is a bit luke-warm about 'em, the other goobles 'em down like she's afraid I'll NEVER give her another. Very high in calcium (strong bones/shell) and excellent fiber. Cactus is very easy to grow, so, if you're having trouble finding them, just grow 'em...spineless varieties are easiest on the tortoise-keeper, but the torts will eat either, as spines don't bother them in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.