my cat bit me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

starjess81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
KY
My 11 year old cat had a spasm and bit me in the face and the finger the other night! Now I'm getting the bites checked out at the er because they are red and swollen.....just my luck! Plus I am pregnant and want to make sure all is good

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Yes please go to the ER. A friend's cat bit me on my finger and I thought it would go away on its own, 1 1/2 days later it swelled up so much and was so painful that I went to the ER. After I told them it was a car bite, I went ahead of everyone and I stayed in the hospital for 4 days with IV antibiotics!

Cat**

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hope your okay of course, but also how is the cat doing? I have been lucky with all the cats I work with, I seldom get bitten. I did get nailed at the Vet's with a sick feral cat about two weeks ago. Thank goodness I only got it on the hand, where you also got it on the face. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cat scratch fever aka: cat scratch disease is a very common occurrence ....so a trip to the er would be a good thing if you are showing any ill affects at the site or sites...most folks who get this disease ward it off alone after the sites are cleaned and cared for but 1in3 folks will have some type of adverse affects....this is one of the reasons folks with infants and very young children elect to not have cats and especially kittens around during that time....good luck to you:D

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
I had to get a tetanus shot and they put me on antibiotics for 10 days.....the dr. Said 80% of cat bited get infected even if you keep super clean, it is because of their teeth puncturing the skin and the bacteria are sort of "injected" under the skin....so me and the baby will be fine. Mocha is fine....she feels bad, she wouldn't hurt anyone or anything on purpose. She is 11 years old and I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. I am not going to get rid of her because of something she cannot help. About 3-4 years ago she was bitten by a boxer and her hind legs were paralyzed for about 2 weeks. After rushing her to the vet on a Saturday and nursing her back to health, she walks with a limp but it really doesn't bother her. She has nerve damage which causes the spasms when her one leg goes stiff she panics causing the biting. Its happend a few other times, usually she bits a blanket but she accidently got me!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Glad all is turning out well and oh my, I would hope you are not getting rid of her...sounds totally like accident...and heck, some folks keep crazy cats that do things on purpose...lol :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad it's better and glad your still keeping the cat. Poor thing has had such a hard life. I didn't realize so many get infected. Makes me feel guilty in a way for the fact that I usually just make my wounds bleed a bit and usually forget to even wash them well or put anything on them. :rolleyes:

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
I could never get rid of the Mocha....she is a unique cat.....I think she is a better guard dog than most dogs.....when my kids were babies and they were sleeping in their own beds if they would wake up she would come and wake me up and let me know they were up!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
80% of cat bites get infected?? Strange....I just lost a 13 year old cat to cancer last month. She spent her entire life biting people on a semi regular basis. Not one of those bites in 13 years ever got infected.

Anyway, I'm glad both you and kitty are doing well.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Dont be surprised if Animal Control calls or comes by.. Dr have to report all bites.. they will want to make sure the cat is vacinated for rabies and or do a 10 day minimum quarantine...
glad you are ok...

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
lisa127 said:
80% of cat bites get infected?? Strange....I just lost a 13 year old cat to cancer last month. She spent her entire life biting people on a semi regular basis. Not one of those bites in 13 years ever got infected.

Anyway, I'm glad both you and kitty are doing well.

I think it also depends on how deep the bite was, mine was straight puncture in my finger, right to the bone.

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
My bites are healing pretty good....my arm I got my tetanus shot in is super sore! But no pain no gain lol! My cat feels bad and has been giving me extra lovin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.