MVB Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweiner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
We are going to purchase a baby greek and I had a quick question about the lighting/heat source. I've seen a lot of enclosure pictures on this forum where people have multiple light/heat sources above their setups. Is it okay to have a single MVB such as the Powersun bulb hanging above a setup or are multiple light/heat sources preferable? From what I've read, MVBs emit UVA/UVB and heat.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
You are correct, MVBs emit UV and heat. They are fine as a single light/heat source. We use multiple lights for larger enclosures.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes Correct, Powersun Is The Best mvb and Heat Source!

But For NightTime You Need A Red Heat Bulb 75-100w, Because if If You Have
The Powersun They Will Think Its DayTime Day Round And It will Be Bright All Day!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Jacob said:
But For NightTime You Need A Red Heat Bulb 75-100w

A Greek tortoise does not need a heat bulb at night unless your enclosure will experience temps below 68 F or so. They tolerate overnight room temperatures just fine.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yea, Well The Same Goes For My Baby Sulcata Tortoise But i Still Use The Heat Bulb!
Specially since mine is a baby as well as your looking to get a baby Greek,
i Will Eventually Take it out once hes A Year Old or so, When Hes Biggier :)

Just My Opinion, Just Look At Tortoise enclosures, and make your decisions on how you feel :)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Greeks tolerate low night temperatures just fine. But yeah I just use one MVB for my torts.. works fine.

jweiner

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for the responses. When I make my mind up on the tortoise, I will go with one Powersun bulb mounted above the enclosure. I will put it on a timer so it will be on for 12 hours/day (7a - 7p). The room it is going in never gets below 70F. By the way, what should the temp be in the cage under the heat/light source?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
jweiner said:
By the way, what should the temp be in the cage under the heat/light source?
You want a basking temp under the light of 95-100 F.

Jacob said:
Yea, Well The Same Goes For My Baby Sulcata Tortoise But i Still Use The Heat Bulb!
Specially since mine is a baby as well as your looking to get a baby Greek,
i Will Eventually Take it out once hes A Year Old or so, When Hes Biggier :)

Just My Opinion, Just Look At Tortoise enclosures, and make your decisions on how you feel :)

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you watch out for dehydration. Hatchlings can dehydrate VERY quickly. Dehydration can lead to irreversible kidney damage. Heat all the time can lead to dehydration, so you have to be careful.

John

5 Year Member
keep in mind that a cahange in the ambient temp around the enclosure will directly affect the temp in the enclosure, for example ,if you set your bulb distance and achieve a 100 degree basking spot and your temp on the cool side of the enclosure is 80,while the ambient temp is say 68 degree's, what will your enclosure temps be when the ambient around it is say 76 or if it is allowed to drop to 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.