Mulch for those of us out west

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
This is a question I've had for a while. I have been told that pine and cedar are the two mulches that are dangerous for torts because they emit aromatic phenols (the good smell) which is harmful and toxic in large amounts or in small tortoise bodies. But, other than cypress are there mulches that don't have this problem and are as such suitable for torts? Finding cypress in the west in next to impossible.

So, for all the westerners, what mulches have you found that have been successful. I know that it's possible to sometimes get fir bark mulch out here for instance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also avoid redwood. I've used several types of "orchid bark", but it does "stain them". Here's one I found at Lowes in Santa Clarita:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13520.html

I've been using it for well over a year for a variety of reptiles and its been working great for me.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Are you talking about the West Coast?

I live in Colorado and ordered "Forest Floor" cypress mulch online from PetCo. I mix it with the coco coir and sphagnum moss.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I guess im lucky in that aspect, I get 5 cubic foot bag for $2 plus a discount cause I work there. I would ship it to you but im sure the cost would not make it worth it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie Logan said:
Are you talking about the West Coast?

I live in Colorado and ordered "Forest Floor" cypress mulch online from PetCo. I mix it with the coco coir and sphagnum moss.

Not a good deal for those of us who use 20 pounds at a time...or more...:p

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Well, I really just meant the west. I'm in Utah but I know that people in Colorado and other neighboring states all cannot find cypress mulch. I was just trying to figure out if there were other things that all you in this area were using. Tom, I haven't been able to find the exact same stuff that you use, but I've found the same brand.

The only orchid barks I was able to find were all in tiny little bags about the same size as the forest floor that you can get from petco.

Status
Not open for further replies.