Mucus and flagelates in a RF????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,
So, as I said previously, vet visit went well and fecal float and smear came up negative for anything. Tonight I had some friends over and Coagi let out another one of those mucus-looking terds... it was just hanging off his cloaca until I wiped it off with a paper towel. The vet told me not to worry, mucus once in a while is probably no big deal but look for patterns. His appetite is still fine but I did notice he felt a bit light tonight and the second mucus-bomb (much smaller than the first) scared me. Am I over-reacting/worrying too much? I did feed them figs 4 days ago and the color is similar, but the consistency is concerning. I put him in the water dish after visiting with my friends and he drank, perhaps a bit dehydrated leading to lighter weight?

Lend me your thoughts, I'd appreciate them! I'm not against 3rd or even 4th fecal! Yvonne previously mentioned that the mucus could be a sign of flagellates, anyone have any experience with these parasitic infections? Did you see similar things? Any OTC anti-flagellates or only prescriptions?

exoticsdr, if you're out there, I'd appreciate your input!

Previous mucus post:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Worms--34475#axzz1aoz8pDzW

Thanks all!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Didn't you just treat with panacure? If so,that could be causing it. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it continues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The OTC anti-parasite treatment for flagellates is called Flagyl. Panacur kills nematodes while Flagyl kills protozoans.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I haven't given them anything yet as their behavior hasn't changed, I'm thinking I'll not use any Panacur and might investigate a bit on the flagellates. I have access to microscopes on a regular basis, so I'll do some smears and floats.

Thank you both!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
emysemys said:
The OTC anti-parasite treatment for flagellates is called Flagyl. Panacur kills nematodes while Flagyl kills protozoans.

Coagi is consistently passing mucus in his stools (we're up to 3 now) and this mornings was pretty loose. I have a copy of Roger Klingenberg's "Understanding Reptile Parasites" and think we may have a developing case of flagellates. Coagi's just starting to not act him self, a bit less active than usual and appetite not quite as voracious - but still eating.

I can't seem to find Flagyl (Metronidazole) OTC. I asked the pharmacist at Rite Aid and he said it's only available via prescription. The only stuff I can find online is for aquarium keepers, not sure if this is the same as the pills you'd get from a vet? Outside of aquaria, you can find it online in pill form, but they need vet prescriptions.

I've called the vet and left a message, I'm sure they'll be calling back tomorrow. In the meantime I was thinking of a good soak using Mark's suggested salt and sugar solution. Could I purchase the aquarium Metronidazole, is it all the same?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z40RGU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Sorry for all the text...

Status
Not open for further replies.