Mounting UVB Strip Over Tub

nslimmo

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi, I've kept my three-toed box turtle in a 8 sq ft tub for the past year or so with a ZooMed Powersun MVB on it but have decided to upgrade to a UVB strip and basking bulb combo. The issue is I'm not really sure how to mount the UVB strip, as it's an open air stock tank without any screen top to lay it on (I've considered adding one for this purpose but the light would be too close to the substrate). Does anyone have any tips / experience regarding how to do this? I think I've seen people use bar clamps in the past but unsure how well that would work...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How about something like this HOME DEPOT wire shelf?
They're available in several different widths and lengths

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504_161032_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230504_161032_Samsung Internet.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I've kept my three-toed box turtle in a 8 sq ft tub for the past year or so with a ZooMed Powersun MVB on it but have decided to upgrade to a UVB strip and basking bulb combo. The issue is I'm not really sure how to mount the UVB strip, as it's an open air stock tank without any screen top to lay it on (I've considered adding one for this purpose but the light would be too close to the substrate). Does anyone have any tips / experience regarding how to do this? I think I've seen people use bar clamps in the past but unsure how well that would work...
Put a pice of plywood under the tub. Attach two upright 2x4s. Attach a horizontal 2x4 to the top of the posts. Hang your lights from the horizontal bar that is now over your tub.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd attach pipe hangers to the sides and use those to hold pvc or emt. I would bend the pipe into shape so it was one piece, but you could also use clamps from Maker Pipe to attach a cross piece to the vertical supports. I also use pipe hangers to attach the light to the cross piece, instead of hanging with chain.