Month of Excitement! (Up from the long nap)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Well, for those who allow their Box Turtles to hibernate outside, the month of March brings alot of excitement......the emerge from the underground:) My guys and gals are still down here in Ohio but next week temps might bring a few up. I can't wait. Feel free to use this thread to share or post any pictures of their Box Turtles up from their long nap!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have any the hibernate. Just wanted to say the title is kinda a tease. I thought I was going to see some bright eyed awake turtles:p
Wishing them a great wake up and pics when they do:)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I know the title was a bit of a teaser but I couldn't help myself, lol! Plus I wanted anybody to post on this thread. I know a few are already emerging in the southern and western states. So if anyone has pictures bring them on, we want to see your box turtles awake from that long nap. Thanks Wellington hopefully next week all of my guys decide to show their faces

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm in ohio too but I keep mine indoors in winter. It's cold right now though!

Dean Militello

I'm on Long Island and the warming trend were having is making me want to catch a glimpse of my guys and girls peeking out of the hibernation leaf pile. But I know it's too early. If they poked out now, only bad things will happen. You got to be patient. There is no ground cover and they would be too vulnerable to the elements. Here, it will be another month and a half I suspect.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I just took mine out of the fridge today and re-buried them in their outdoor enclosure. Spring is on the way!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457468756.752379.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457468776.913711.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457468791.992043.jpg

70 degree weather in Ohio and look who surfaced to the top in their hibernating chamber, my good buddy Linus! No sign of the others yet but I got one moving around! Spring is coming and can't wait to see those peeping box turtles!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
also Ohio today

DSCF1743.jpg

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Squirtle hasn't come up from brumination just yet, but I did hear him when I was removing a lot of leaf litter today so I know he made it through the winter here in Illinois. : D

KaylaSmith

Southeast Iowa

Eric! I live in East Central Iowa and am wanting to get an eastern box turtle. I think I had decided on getting a hatchling to "bond" with and I planned on keeping it indoors for the first year while it's so tiny. However next spring/summer I would love to move it to an awesome outdoor enclosure! Ideally I would love to allow it to hibernate and stay outdoors, since you share a similar harsh winter as I do could you please help me with your hibernation box information on how to make this a safe and healthy process?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Eric! I live in East Central Iowa and am wanting to get an eastern box turtle. I think I had decided on getting a hatchling to "bond" with and I planned on keeping it indoors for the first year while it's so tiny. However next spring/summer I would love to move it to an awesome outdoor enclosure! Ideally I would love to allow it to hibernate and stay outdoors, since you share a similar harsh winter as I do could you please help me with your hibernation box information on how to make this a safe and healthy process?

Hello Kayla and most welcome to the forum. First and foremost, before getting an Eastern Box Turtle, I would make sure to cover your state laws to make sure of ownership of EBT's is legal. FYI...I am not sure on the state of Iowa but in Ohio, Eastern Box Turtles are the native box turtle of the state and are illegal to own unless you have a permit from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Simply put you might want to get a 3 toed box turtle if an EBT is illegal or vice versa. As for the hibernation chamber....for adult box turtles I wouldn't hibernate them the first year unless they have a complete clean bill of health and even then it could be a bit dicey. For hatchlings, I don't recommend hibernating them the first year and I don't allow them outside for hibernation unless they are 3 years old or older. Hibernation is a natural but delicate process especially for semi captive box turtles. I usually stop feeding my adults in October but give them a few warm soaks to make sure they are ready for the big sleep. From the picture above, I built their box from tree logs, pallets, and treated lumber I had laying around. I put some shingles on the hinged top so I can access it at all times, and then when they are ready I put then in the chamber and board up the front entrance. I already removed a 3 x 3 about 3 foot down section of the original clay below. I added a mixture of organic topsoil from my compost pile, peat moss, leaf litter and about a 1/3 of the original clay and compact it. Then I fill the whole chamber with leaves, straw, and Eastern Pine Needles to the top. Then I take a couple bags of raked leaves and dump them on top of the chamber to cover it. I put my enclosure on the east side of my house so the wind is blocked and I have drainage tile along my house so it never floods. Snug as a bug in rug! So, if you need any dimensions or idears on every making a your own just send me an email. I would be more than happy to help. Good Luck!

KaylaSmith

Southeast Iowa
Eric thank you so much for that information! I so appreciate your help! I guess I did not look into much about the legal matter of owning a captive bred ETB! I am finding it out quickly now though. My concern is jus wanting to create a natural environment for the turtle, would a 3 toed or Ornate do okay in East Central Iowa? Is that what you are keeping outdoors in Ohio? I don't mind the idea of hibernating in a mini fridge or something controlled however I would be much more comfortable keeping the process natural and just providing the best hibernation materials for staying in an outdoor enclosure-- your set up sounds ideal and very easy to create.
I think I am finding I would be much more comfortable trying to find an adult to home now with all the information I am gathering on it needing to be older to really get to use the outdoor enclosure.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460840179.983147.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460840191.745268.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460840211.866784.jpg

4 out of the 5 are now officially up. Now just getting their enclosure and pond ready for the new year!