Meet Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
He died of cancer in Jan of 2004 .... he was the love of my life and while he didnt get to live past his 4th B-day, he gave me a lifetime of smiles and I smile for him every single day. He was a youngster about 5mos old, out of rescue, an American Staffordshire.
Mikey just a week after I got him.
f7a76f9f.jpg

Mikey with Tara and Gabriel ... the crew I had at the time.
scan0003.jpg

Mikey with his "petey" makeup on. He had the perfect face to draw on so I couldnt resist. (and yeah, they all slept on the bed with us. dont know how I did that in a queen bed. Have a Cal king now ... should of done that a long time ago)
olddogpics010.jpg

And here is "Mikey with his Fabulous Eyebrows" he was actually quite renown in the cyber world for those things. lol
olddogpics014.jpg

And here is what he grew up to be .... a wonderful, beautiful dog who I loved with every part of my being. He and I had an uncanny ability to communicate with one another .... I love all my dogs past and present but this one really was a one-of-a-kind. I could write all night about this dog .... but I'll spare you. :p
mikey.jpg

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The first photo of Mikey is absolutely stunning! I feel your pain. It's been 4 yrs since I lost my Babe, and there's not a single day that goes by where I don't think of her.

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Mikey was such a beautiful dog, i really do feel for you and i know how hard it is, i lost my dog 4 years ago now, i had grown up with her from the age of 4, i was 16 when she died, she will always have a place in my heart.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a gorgeous dog. It sounds like he was a very special boy.
Love the "Petey" and eyebrows. (I drew glasses on my poor dog once when I was bored- with washable marker ;))

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mikey was beautiful, and very lucky to be loved so much. Do you still have your Bullies? They are beautiful. My favorite of all my dogs. In my eyes all dogs are beautiful...every one of them...and I love all my dogs, but there is something very special about an English Bull Terrier. If you are lucky enough to have an attachment with one, you can read each other's mind. They are a "thinking dog" for sure, and if you have one, you will always have a laugh, no matter how sad you are. When I was going through the darkest time of my life, my bully still could make me laugh.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
terryo said:
Do you still have your Bullies?
there is something very special about an English Bull Terrier.
They are a "thinking dog" for sure, and if you have one, you will always have a laugh, no matter how sad you are. When I was going through the darkest time of my life, my bully still could make me laugh.

No .... Gabriel, the one with an eye patch, passed on 1st of those 3. He had renal failure. Then Tara (Gabe's sibling) went thru the same thing 2 years later. Gabriel hurt but Tara was another truely great loss. 2 days after I let Tara go, Mikey started limping so I took him in for a check and thats when we found that he had a malignant tumor growing within his lower spinal vertabrae. There was no help for him but just to medicate and make him as comfortable as possible. I had to let him go just 5 weeks after losing Tara. I was pretty messed up to say the least.
Tara was a real thinking dog ... youre right about the breed. She could open anything if it wasnt locked ... doors, windows, the fridge! A little smart aleck, that one. And she did it all in humor ... she do this stuff right in front of me, look at me as if to say "See", then just walk away. She was one of those that you dont relize what you have until shes gone. The house was really empty without her. But I'll do threads on each of them. :) I had one other Bully before them, Harley. Another great dog.
But Mikey ... sigh ... I really was close to that dog. He had personality issues so it was because of him that I learned so much about behavior modification. He wasnt abused but he wasnt socialized and was with his siblings for way too long. He had a lot of insecurities and didnt trust people as his breed should. Really, that dog with the wrong kind of owner would have been a news paper headline. But we worked hard and he'd do anything for me. I think its because of his special needs that we bonded so tightly. We were like 2 10yr old boys pal'ing around together. His eyes would light up when we would break for a wrestling match. He loved to play .... we really were 'best friends'. :)
Mikeyears.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What a bittersweet thread. Mikey was beautiful, you can see his beautiful soul shining out of his eyes.

I had my Sammy, a black Lab. He was the same way - that one-of-a-kind dog and friend that you only ever find once in a lifetime. I had Sam with me for 12 years, He was my shadow, my protector, my buddy. I lost him to chest cancer in 2005. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but I knew that letting him go was the right one. Thank you for loving Mikey enough to do the same for him, and thank you for giving him a wonderful life while he was with you. The same goes for Gabriel and Tara.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I love my reptiles, but my dogs are everything to me. They are my life. I'm not afraid to say that I DO judge people, and it's based on the way they treat their dog(s). Got dang tears in my eyes reading the rest of this thread.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Paige Lewis said:
i lost my dog 4 years ago now, i had grown up with her from the age of 4, i was 16 when she died, she will always have a place in my heart.

That really had to of been tough. But yanno ... how lucky you are that you get to live out your life with those kinds of memories. Thats the beauty of having dogs ... they dont ever die. They stay in hearts forever.

kyryah said:
What a bittersweet thread. Mikey was beautiful, you can see his beautiful soul shining out of his eyes.

I had my Sammy, a black Lab. He was the same way - that one-of-a-kind dog and friend that you only ever find once in a lifetime. I had Sam with me for 12 years, He was my shadow, my protector, my buddy. I lost him to chest cancer in 2005. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, but I knew that letting him go was the right one.

I hate cancer ... it seems so rampant now-a-days. Thank you as well for taking the pain unto yourself and letting him go. Besides our love and devotion its the greatest gift we can give them despite how much it hurts.

harris said:
I love my reptiles, but my dogs are everything to me. They are my life. I'm not afraid to say that I DO judge people, and it's based on the way they treat their dog(s). Got dang tears in my eyes reading the rest of this thread.

I'm the same way ... my life revolves around my dogs. I miss out on a lot of stuff but its worth it to me. Lol .. I think dog lovers tend to be a nicer bunch too. I think we learn by their example of unconditional love and loyalty. They keep us grounded ... at least for me.
Sorry about the tears ... lol ... heres something sweet that happened to me last month:
There is a song by Cold Play ... Yellow. I used to sing it to Mikey when it came on the radio. Its a kind of love song (I know, I'm weird, but he liked it when I sang to him) So anyway after he died I made it our song since I think of nothing but him whenever I hear it. I hadnt heard that song for years so I was pleasently surprized when it came on the radio not long ago (Jan 6th to be exact, lol) So I immediately get this big smile on my face, crank it up and start singing it with thoughts only of Mikey ..... half way thru the song I stop and realize the date - Jan. 6th - the exact day Mikey died, 7yrs ago. I got this strangest feeling and I have to admit that I truely believe it was his way of saying that wherever he is, he still thinks of me too. :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
[/quote]

I'm the same way ... my life revolves around my dogs. I miss out on a lot of stuff but its worth it to me. Lol .. I think dog lovers tend to be a nicer bunch too. I think we learn by their example of unconditional love and loyalty. They keep us grounded ... at least for me.
Sorry about the tears ... lol ... heres something sweet that happened to me last month:
There is a song by Cold Play ... Yellow. I used to sing it to Mikey when it came on the radio. Its a kind of love song (I know, I'm weird, but he liked it when I sang to him) So anyway after he died I made it our song since I think of nothing but him whenever I hear it. I hadnt heard that song for years so I was pleasently surprized when it came on the radio not long ago (Jan 6th to be exact, lol) So I immediately get this big smile on my face, crank it up and start singing it with thoughts only of Mikey ..... half way thru the song I stop and realize the date - Jan. 6th - the exact day Mikey died, 7yrs ago. I got this strangest feeling and I have to admit that I truely believe it was his way of saying that wherever he is, he still thinks of me too. :)
[/quote]

That is priceless!!! And you're right, when I start to bum about the ones I've lost I think of some boneheaded thing we used to do and just start laughing. And when I travel it's gotta be a 48 hr round trip cause I gotta get back to my pups.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wirewehear said:

Ohhh goosebumps! That is so cool. No way was it just a coincidence!
I have a 5-year old Chi mix and a 4-year old Chihuahua (it's her birthday today! :D) and they are my babies. I don't know what I would do without them. I made them a birthday dinner tonight for Mia's birthday ;)

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
That is priceless!!! And you're right, when I start to bum about the ones I've lost I think of some boneheaded thing we used to do and just start laughing. And when I travel it's gotta be a 48 hr round trip cause I gotta get back to my pups.
++++++++++++++++++++
What kind of dog was Babe .... and what do you have now?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Labradors. I've been raising them since the mid '80s. Chocalate, black, yellow....I've had them all! Babe was a beautiful English chocolate. Today I have Ace and Frehley, which are a chocolate and a yellow. I keep saying I may introduce an English Bulldog to the mix but I don't want anything that snores louder than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.