Mazuri Angst

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
I have tried EVERYTHING possible to get Babette and Scarlet to eat at least a little Mazuri. I have very stubborn girls, especially Babs. The only luck I have had at all is crunching some up and sprinkling it like croutons onto their greens and grass. Babs does her best to shake it all off the food.
How important is Mazuri to a Sulcatas diet? They are eating a well rounded mix of fresh greens, grasses and love the dandelions and other edible Landscaping I planted in their indoor and outdoor enclosures. I also give them calcium and vitamin supplements sprinkled onto their food, they don't mi d that like they do the Mazuri.
I was giving them a fruit treat once a month, but they really weren't too interested, so I stopped since it really isn't good for them anyway. Strawberries are of absolutely no interest to my girls.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
I have tried both, repeatedly. Doesn't entice then either way. I have tried wetting the Mazuri to different stages of mushiness, they just walk on by. I have tried feeding it to them during their morning feeding when they are most hungry, after exercising outdoors and after a soak- no dice

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I wouldn't worry about him not eating Mazuri as long as he is eating healthy otherwise. I have the opposite problem as you have. My tortoise will ignore everything growing in the yard and wait for a bowl of Mazuri. When I catch on to what he's up to I withhold the Mazuri and the next day he eats normal.

There are benefits to feeding Mazuri. Convenience is one and nutrition is another. I believe that it is important for these animals to eat and digest grass, weeds, vegetation, etc to remain healthy. Mazuri, or other manufactured food, can be a part of a healthy diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tara:

Its nice to have something to fall back on during the winter when greens and weeds aren't readily available. Maybe you can get them to be interested in grass hay instead of the Mazuri. My sulcata doesn't think Mazuri is food either. The only animals I can get to eat it are the Aldabrans and Dr. Cosmonaut's redfoots.

Its no big deal. Greens, grasses and weeds are much better for them anyway.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Mazuri is great for winter periods, but try to chop up everything you are feeding very finely or in a blender
and moisten the mazuri and mush it with the food.
Good luck :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacob said:
Mazuri is great for winter periods, but try to chop up everything you are feeding very finely or in a blender

:cool:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Jacob said:

:):):)

Pureed cactus or canned pumpkin (with nothing added to it - not pie filling) seem to be popular choices as well. Mine preferred the cactus over the pumpkin.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I've always found it difficult to get younger ones to eat it as well. But no worries, Mazuri isn't in the least bit an important part to their diet. They'd be just as healthy without it. As a matter of fact I prefer not to use it but I will every so often. Usually right after a female lays to give her a treat.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I feed RV mazuri every few weeks or so.. make a 'happy meal' for her

FOOD1.jpg

When we first got the mazuri I was at my wits end. she ignored it, moved it aside, tromped on it and walked off. So I ended up making mazuri lettuce wraps...

mazurilettucewraps.jpg

it was the inner part of the romaine lettuce (sturdier to hold)

and then wet down the mazuri. Not falling apart wet, but enough so it didn't crunch
nottoosure.jpg

picky lady had to check it out first.. but then her first bite.....
lettucewrap3.jpg

and as we went along, she became more enthusiastic about it...
lettucewrap1.jpg

itsawrap4.jpg

lettucewrap2.jpg

I've since just been making her happy meals, making sure the mazuri is well mushed into the greens/flowers/carrot/pumpkin mash.... otherwise, she still roots past it.

Hope this helps..

teri

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thnx Sharkstar, I did just that a few tines and did manage to get Babette to eat some. She wasn't happy about it, but ate a little.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
TaraDodrill said:
Thnx Sharkstar, I did just that a few tines and did manage to get Babette to eat some. She wasn't happy about it, but ate a little.

I'd try adding something she does like, for the flavor.. shred carrots? nuked pumpkin (in season?) apple? My strategy with RV is that she gets SOME of the stuff for all my hard work getting it into her meal. And I don't obsess about it.......

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.