Mazuri and young tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
I have a question regarding feeding mazuri to hatchlings. Do they in general like it? Or is it the same as with hay? My leopard tortoise (10 month old) doesn't want to eat hay and I'm constantly looking for a healthy alternative to spring mixes during the winter that she will like. Hay seems to be out of question, even when mixed with fresh food. I would like to order a pack of mizuri but I'm not sure if 1) small tortoises like it 2) if it can be bought in Europe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I feed Mazuri to my hatchling leopards and sulcatas. They love it. Most leopards won't eat hay. Especially not as babies. You might have some luck if you use re-hydrayted bermuda grass hay and chop it up really fine onto a pile of greens.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My leo's love it to:) like Tom said try to soaking some grass in warm water I soak orchard grass mine love it :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't have leopards, but I share your sentiments on providing more fiber with store-greens to my two redfoots. Like Tom has suggested, I sprinkle timothy hay (any type would work) on their greens periodically. I purchased timothy hay cubes intended for rabbits/guinea pigs, struck them with a hammer to break them up, and sprinkle the tid-bits on wet greens.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Young Leopards tend to go nuts for Mazuri. Mine LOVES the stuff. If he's hungry enough, he'll scrape the feeding rock clean! He doesn't do that with greens, that's for sure... Little brat!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
About once a week I soak a handful of Mazuri Tortoise Diet pellets in warm water to make them soft. Then I mush them all up into crumbles. In the mean time, I have chopped up Spring Mix, and any other leaves I could find outside...mullberry, grape, dandelion, etc. If there aren't any leaves alive outside, I'll use endive, escarole turnip greens or something else from the produce section. I'll also chop up a zucchini. I put all this in a large bowl, sprinkle with Miner-all and calcium, including the Mazuri and mix it all together. I feed this to baby leopards, baby box turtles, baby Texas tortoises, baby yellowfoots and baby Manouria. Of all those, the leopards do the best a cleaning up their plate. I have a rescued adult Russian tortoise with a bad beak problem (he can't bite) and I feed this to him too. He eats it up with gusto.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes Your Leopard Will Love It, You Just Get The Pellets soft In Water and Serve Them as Is Or Mix Them With The Greens :)
My Sullie Goes Crazy Over Them As Well As Everyone On TFO!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tygoh said:
My torts never bother about the pellet food. They hate it somehow.. :(

Are you talking about Mazuri? Or some other pelleted food? Some torts do take to it more than others. My adult male sulcata is a total pig and will eat anything, but he is my only tortoise that is not all that fond of Mazuri. He still eats it, mind you, just not with as much gusto as other things. He'll eat some and then walk away while there is still some left. He doesn't do that with any other food. All my other tortoises of all ages love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.