Male tortoise has injured Female tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

malonemadness

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a large female Russian tortoise that has been injured by a male Russian tortoise. The male tortoise has repeatably bitten the females front legs in trying to get the female in the right position to mate. My tortoises are kept outside so I did not notice that this was happening until it was too late. I now keep them separated but the damage has already been done. My female has loss toenails on both legs. Has anyone else witnessed this aggressive behavior? I was wondering if this happens in the wild too.

Does anyone know if the toenails will grow back or is she permanently injured. I am treating the sores with antibiotics, neosporin and have moved her inside until the sores heal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have experience with desert tortoises, Russians, leopards, sulcatas, box turtles and Manouria in the breeding department. Of the above, the Russians are far and away the MOST aggressive breeders. They bite off the female's eyelids. They bite out chunks of the female's front legs. For a small tortoise, they can be BRUTAL! This is just nature. I'm sure its as bad if not worse in the wild. I don't separate my tortoises, they live together year-round. But if I notice any raw spot on the females, I dab them with Neo-sporin. I must say, that my Russian pen is pretty large for the amount of tortoises in it, and there are plenty of hiding places and sight barriers so the females are able to get out of the males' view.

What you see isn't a permanent injury, however because of their slow metabolism, it takes a long time for you to see any new growth.

Yvonne

malonemadness

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have experience with desert tortoises, Russians, leopards, sulcatas, box turtles and Manouria in the breeding department. Of the above, the Russians are far and away the MOST aggressive breeders. They bite off the female's eyelids. They bite out chunks of the female's front legs. For a small tortoise, they can be BRUTAL! This is just nature. I'm sure its as bad if not worse in the wild. I don't separate my tortoises, they live together year-round. But if I notice any raw spot on the females, I dab them with Neo-sporin. I must say, that my Russian pen is pretty large for the amount of tortoises in it, and there are plenty of hiding places and sight barriers so the females are able to get out of the males' view.

What you see isn't a permanent injury, however because of their slow metabolism, it takes a long time for you to see any new growth.

Yvonne

malonemadness said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Thanks for the info. I thought I did have a large enclosure and plenty of hides. I think this tortoise just doesn't know to get away. I think I will keep her separated for some time. The wounds are quite big and I am sure the male will just go at her again. I have smaller females in with the same male and they don't get beat up. Maybe they are not large enough so the male doesn't bother them. I just hope the nails grow back or she will be walking on stumps...

Status
Not open for further replies.