Male/Female cohabitation-rescue question

July

5 Year Member
Hi all. I have been on a list with a rescue for a redfoot--have kept them in past but have none now. A pair of redfoots have come available if I want them. They are male and female and the female has apparently had eggs before and was egg bound. The owner can't afford to keep them anymore, much less afford a vet check/bill when/if she becomes egg bound again. I have room for both--they are about 10-11 inches. But can I keep them together or is the egg bound thing just going to be a lifelong issue? What causes it? Needless to say, they are not being kept properly. The picture the owner sent me shows them in an aquarium. They look like they are on reptibark and definitely have significant pyramiding. Is the husbandry causing the egg binding? Sad. The owner feels like they are bonded and wants them placed together. But is together a poor choice in this instance? Thanks in advance for the help.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Egg bound is typically because they lack a proper place to lay the eggs so hold them in. Or they could be too young of a specimen. Most times it's because the substrate isn't deep enough. Redfoots are fine being kept together. Just ensure they have enough room for the both of them inside and outdoors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would separate them, or get another female and have a trio. Pairs can often be problematic. Where are you? Is a large outdoor enclosure with a variety of egg laying locations an option?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when pairs have been kept together from a young age, the male becomes sexually active before the female, he breeds her, fertilizes her eggs and she is not ready size-wise for such a venture. I like to keep my females separate until I'm sure they have no more growing to do before I allow them to breed.

If you suspect she has become egg bound again, keep her warmer than usual and give her lots of soak time. She still may need to see a vet though.