Making Live Castings Kindly

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
My Sully is starting to grow, and I definitely want to remember hum at various stages....

In the NICU I have used the 3D gel molding compound to make duplicate hands and feet of tiny infants. If it is safe for them I am confident it is safe to make a copy if my Sully's shell. It takes just a few minutes to set, is non-toxic and i can later pour a plaster of paris or resin cast:).

The first will be resin turned into a lovely clear resin night/light/lamp base. Later I might make tables, planter holders or other items that remind me of his life and growth. Or I might make shotcrete models to add ti his outdoor enclosure. Painted, they will be memorable yard art for the generations of family who will be living with Sully.

This is the compound I am using for his carapace… I have successfully used it on 23 week old preemies ;)

Attachments

• 51ofM6+2YNL._SY300_.jpg
    51ofM6+2YNL._SY300_.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 111

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That is very cool....and if you handle the tort in the same gentle manner as a wee one then how fantastic....love the light idea and the yard memory statues...what a great idea..:D

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Hi Lighthiker,
this is a really cool idea, can I copy it?

The dentists use a dental alginate impression material to make molds molds of teeth.
Years ago for fun I used this alginate on my ex-wifes face and daughters hands, it was scary how detailed the alginate mold picked up.

Here a cool You Tube video I just found out about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5HeKECvnmU

Post pictures later of how your shell cast looks for us.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
AdamStage said:
Do you have any pictures of any you have done with your torts?

I just noticed his growth is accelerating, and had the thought to make a cast…I wasn't sure what would be best to use. Then I remembered the ones I have done over the years with tiny babies and it became SO obvious.

At the craft s tore there are only small packets available in the 'kits", so I went on Amazon and ordered a larger bucket of the gel so I can scoop out what I need for a given casting.

Hopefully I will have the bucket of goo (it solidifies to a soft pink material and comes off totally clean). I am especially excited to make the first one into a clear resin 'shell' form to adapt as a nightlight (while it is still small enough). I will post pictures of the projects.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh.My.Gosh. That is brilliance! What a fabulous idea! Love it.
Okay, let's all do this with you and share results. Thank you so much for sharing. Fabulously brilliant!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If it works, I love the thought of doing this! How neat!!

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
It is slightly stretchy and comes off cleanly, gently and with fabulous detail. It is also very light weight so it is not a bother. I will set it in a bucket with sawdust packed around it (free from hardware store) for added support before pouring the resin material...same for plasters. I will post my processing and look forward to seeing what all my forum family does with this :)

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
mold.jpg
Well, my gel molding material arrived. After researching ideas, I decided to do not one, but two different lamps. The first, a table lamp, will be my version of this $500 lamp, but for one of my sons' apartment.
mh6fMNSksqyB1veuC5-bupA.jpg

The second lamp will be a smaller, even more rustic night lamp. It will be my rendition of something like this
images-2.jpeg

The initial mold was made in two parts: top, bottom. Thanks to Sully for his cooperation ;). Because the carapace mold was a bit thin at the top, I placed plastic under it. The cast still came out with good detail.
molds.jpg

The first casting was for the nightlight. After making it, I let it thoroughly dry, gave it a sealing coat of white acrylic, then antiqued it. rustic.jpg Tomorrow I will attach it to the stand and add the nightlight.

The table lamp casting was done on the lamp itself to incorporate it as part of the lamp's riser. lampcast.jpg

Once dry, I gave it a base coat of white. Tomorrow I will glaze it and do some very light accents to make the texture and scutes just a bit more distinct: I want it almost white when done. I will post final pictures once done ….

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
:cool::cool:Very cool!:cool::cool::cool: I give it five cool faces for a prefect score !!

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Here is my version of the tortoise shell table lamp (Dang, pics from my phone did not upload again. I will do from my computer later)

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Back at the office. Here are the pix of the two lamps. Both are my interpretations on a bit more rustic theme.

First, the nightlight…
nightlamp.jpg

…and the table lamp.
tablelamp.jpg

Once he doubles in size I will create a gilded, porcelain wall sconce.

Last edited by a moderator:

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I figure since he will be in the family for generations it might be fun for my great great grandchildren to see what he was like as a smaller fellow