Loosing weight

nfrost

I have a sulcata got him about a month ago he is in an enclosure with the right temps and right humidity from reading this forum he eats a lot every time I feed him and drinks water but I weighed him and he lost 4 grams since last week he is acting the same as he always has should I be alarmed

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
have you been keeping track of his weight?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How much are you feeding him? Food should be available all of the time during day time hours, specially for young ones. Is he able to bask up over 85 degrees? If not they can't properly digest their food, which would make them stop eating or eat less. If he is eating enough, I would have him checked for parasites.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It all boils down to when you weigh him. Pick the same time, the same circumstances in order to get a true weight. They lose quite a bit when they poop and pee.

You have control over the pooping and peeing by soaking, so soak the baby for a certain length of time at a set time of day, then weigh him after the soak. He should have pooped and peed in the soak, but he also took on water. The next time you weigh, do it at the same time right after his soak and it should be a more accurate weight.

nfrost

He has access to plants during the day but me feeding him he gets twice a day morn and night eats like a cow gets kale red leaf lettuce mazuri petunia flower hibiscus leaves here he is eating mazuri for supper tonight ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452562996.426266.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a sulcata got him about a month ago he is in an enclosure with the right temps and right humidity from reading this forum he eats a lot every time I feed him and drinks water but I weighed him and he lost 4 grams since last week he is acting the same as he always has should I be alarmed

Is this a baby? What size?

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

What are you feeding?

Where did you get this baby?

nfrost

Yea I know I gotta get a ceramic heater been hectic with work, cool side temps are 80 drop to 78 at night hot side is 100 drops to 95 at night humidity is 82-87 depends on the day, I feed him mazuri red leaf lettuce kale hibiscus leaves petunia flower plant grass and he eats that also

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
He has access to plants during the day but me feeding him he gets twice a day morn and night eats like a cow gets kale red leaf lettuce mazuri petunia flower hibiscus leaves here he is eating mazuri for supper tonight View attachment 161953

What kind of Mazuri is that? I've never seen one with such tiny pellets before.

nfrost

Got him from Arizona tortoise compound said he was about 40 days old when I got him so prob about 55 days now he weighs 80 grams did weigh 84 last week

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got him from Arizona tortoise compound said he was about 40 days old when I got him so prob about 55 days now he weighs 80 grams did weigh 84 last week

I'm going to guess he made a big poop before you weighed him this time, compared to last time. What I do is soak them and weight them on the same day of the week at around the same time. This way I get the most consistent weight possible. Do this once a week and look for steady gain.

If he's already 80-84 grams, you should be out of that danger zone where hatchlings sometimes don't make it.

nfrost

After reading ur posts I think I was over reacting I weighed him on the day I normally do and he was 87 g I'm just astonished on how much weight can fluctuate in such a short period in time here is a little comparison on how much he has from the picture where he looks smaller was only December 19th then this was taken this morn crazy how fast they grow! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452709724.659253.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452709736.129704.jpg