looking to adopt a tortoise in sarasota fl

cindyh1991

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
We have a mature red foot cherry head tortoise named Igor. He needs a friend so we are looking to adopt a second tortoise, preferably a female. Does anyone know where we could find one?

cindyh1991

Sarasota
Thank you for your insight however we have had him for over ten years and he had a friend who passed away and has not been himself since. He is not our first tortoise as I have had them all my life.

If anyone knows of a tortoise rescue in my area please let me know. We are in Sarasota, FL.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I apologize, I didn't realize you were the exception to what is commonly accepted as fact. I wish you luck in your search.

cindyh1991

Sarasota
lol okay. I am just very intuned with my boy Igor, You may be the tortoise guru but every situation is different and in case you were not aware tortoises have different personalities. Enjoy your day.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have to agree with Method on this one. Unless you have separate enclosures setup.. not worth taking the chance

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would HIGHLY recommend not keeping two tortoises together.
Not even Redfoot.
There will always be aggression and bullying issues...And a lot of it comes off looking like affection to us mammals.
Please trust me on this.
However if you have the space, 3 or more often than not work out better. And the more the merrier. It spreads out the pressure off of any one individual.
I DO take in Redfoot from time to time. But one of the conditions are that I agree to keep them. Not re home them (unless in the case of a male or one that I need medical intervention for)
I suggest you post an wanted ad in your areas CRAIGSLIST.
Be prepared for a lot of replies.

cindyh1991

Sarasota
I apologize, I didn't realize you were the exception to what is commonly accepted as fact. I wish you luck in your search.
This was posted on this forum by and admin person so guess I may have had a point not to mention I have since put a female in there and they are getting along great and I live on over 5 acres so try not to be so judgy:

Naturally there's always the exception to every rule, but the rule is that tortoises are solitary animals and don't get "lonely" for others of their kind. They don't like to have to share the food or the best hiding place. Having said that, many of us DO keep more than one tortoise together. I have two males and one female Yellowfoot along with three babies that are now about 4 years old and almost ready to be put into the "big boy" pen. I have to separate the males because the larger one continually chases down the smaller one and pushes and shoves him. But the male and female get along just fine. You never know how two tortoises will get along together until you try it. Some make it ok and others just "vant to be alone!"

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You do you...

That's what you are going to do anyway so enjoy.

Everybody here only wants to see happy tortoises. That is why we share our knowledge. Its up to the individual to do what they want with it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT has kept redfoots for many years and sometimes rescues them. He's in Broward County, but he may have some suggestions closer to you.
Craigslist
"Unwanted Redfoot tortoises wanted".
My post usually says "unwanted or ill Redfoot tortoises wanted"
It works very well.
There are lots of keepers out there in over their heads with them.