Lionfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
So the potential newest addition to our family is a lionfish. Bryce happened to see a baby volitan lionfish sitting sadly in a pet store tank. I'm thinking though that smaller (and from a better pet store) would be good. So anyone know anything about fuzzy dwarf lionfish? Or lionfish in general? Bryce will probably still want the one that gets over a foot and is really aggressive...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like lion fish, my neighbor kept a salt water fish tank many many years ago and he was a diver (hobby) and he always brought home awesome specimens, though they often did not live long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Probably a dumb question. But you do know they are salt water fish right? I don' see any salt water fish listed within your signature:D

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Don't be deceived by the name 'dwarf'. The Dendrochirus brachypterus still can reach 7-8 inches and really needs about a 75" gallon tank. I have its close relative, a Zebra lion, mine is currently 6.5". A Volitans will reach 15" and need a 120 gallon + tank. If you have smaller fish like chromis, damsels, smaller wrasses, pygmy angels, gobies, blennies, etc. lions will kill and eat these smaller fish. They will also prey on shrimp, crabs, and other small inverts.

Mine is currently in a live rock only tank with a Cortez angel, a Flag grouper, and an Immaculate puffer. There is not much else that can go in with it. Maybe a few of the larger tangs. If you get a lion, you severely limit the types of fish and inverts that you can keep.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
wellington said:
Probably a dumb question. But you do know they are salt water fish right? I don' see any salt water fish listed within your signature:D

No worries lol. I only have my favorite fish listed. My parents had a big west coast salt tank when I was little so I'm a little experienced.

Neltharion said:
Don't be deceived by the name 'dwarf'. The Dendrochirus brachypterus still can reach 7-8 inches and really needs about a 75" gallon tank. I have its close relative, a Zebra lion, mine is currently 6.5". A Volitans will reach 15" and need a 120 gallon + tank. If you have smaller fish like chromis, damsels, smaller wrasses, pygmy angels, gobies, blennies, etc. lions will kill and eat these smaller fish. They will also prey on shrimp, crabs, and other small inverts.

Mine is currently in a live rock only tank with a Cortez angel, a Flag grouper, and an Immaculate puffer. There is not much else that can go in with it. Maybe a few of the larger tangs. If you get a lion, you severely limit the types of fish and inverts that you can keep.

The tank would be based around them and is about 110 gallons. I believe the whole "they eat everything" opinion is the reason Bryce wants one... He already has Steve the jaguar cichlid, Lucy the green terror, and the Oscar I got him, her name is Gus. Gus was already eating goldfish twice her size when she was 1.5 inches. He likes the whole 'My fish beats your fish' thing.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
They are nice fish but love to eat other fish in your tank. It is just the way they are, I have had a few different types of them over the years and enjoyed each one. Lion fish do look great and make a wonderful fish to keep but just know you are getting a fish that is always on the hunt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bryce should look into triggers. Nothing "beats" triggers. My favorite family of salt water fish.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Tom said:
Bryce should look into triggers. Nothing "beats" triggers. My favorite family of salt water fish.

I like trigger fish. Sadly they are lacking in the venomous spines that Bryce seems to desire...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tell him that they will eat those venomous spines for breakfast! Hahaha.

Seriously though, I love the Volitans and have had many. They are relatively slow eaters and it can be challenging to feed them in a tank full of my typical favorites like triggers, groupers, morays, angels and puffers. The other fish would often snatch the food away before the lion could even get near it. I do love them though...

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Tom said:
Tell him that they will eat those venomous spines for breakfast! Hahaha.

Seriously though, I love the Volitans and have had many. They are relatively slow eaters and it can be challenging to feed them in a tank full of my typical favorites like triggers, groupers, morays, angels and puffers. The other fish would often snatch the food away before the lion could even get near it. I do love them though...

I really like the fuzzy dwarfs, their small enough that 110 gallons would be great for them BUT Bryce tends to prefer big fish. He'd probably be willing to baby it along if it couldn't eat quickly. My Dad used to feed our wolf eel with meat on a bamboo stick, I imagine it would work with lions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.