Lights

NathansChelonians

Has anyone used the Satellite Plus LED Lights by Current? I'm thinking about using them on a custom display enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I still have not found anyone using LEDs over tortoises or other reptiles. They might be fine, or they might not. I don't have the answer yet.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I just started using A couple of these in my Russians large indoor winter enclosure. I wanted to add more light but not heat. I got them at the hardware store. It is a GE 17 W 1750 lumens. I haven't noticed any different behavior, the tortoise doesn't seem to avoid that part of the enclosure.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450667432.776233.jpg

NathansChelonians

Very cool. Yeah it's always quite hard to find a good way to add light but not heat as the tortoises need a solid gradient. The ones I'm looking at have settings that make them quite attractive for a display tank such as a sunrise setting, cloud cover, night, and storms. I'm thinking about taking on a tropical species, so the storm would work well with a fog and rain system.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That sounds cool. I have no creativity :) i've heard about those lighting systems. I don't know if anybody has done any studies on the effects of the LED lights on tortoises. And there are different kinds of LEDs also. Which just adds to the complexity. I have heard of some people using them in their enclosures though.

NathansChelonians

This is made for aquariums mainly, so I assume it's fine. But that would be interesting to find out. They can change colors as well. They're extremely cool in my opinion, and I'll be raising hatchlings in a 25 square foot enclosure, but I plan on using its functions as a breeding trigger with tropical tortoises.

NathansChelonians

My plan hasn't had it divided. They will be raised into breeding pairs so that will be a permanent enclosure, but I prefer to purchase hatchlings.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kinds of tortoises? I don't breed tortoises, I thought that people usually had one or two males and then a group of females. But maybe that depends on what type of tortoises they have.

NathansChelonians

Hopefully either Homes or Forest Hingebacks. It is important to keep a low count of males, and a higher amount of females to lessen stress on the females and avoid too much male confrontation. I will be doing a ratio of probably 4-6 females, and 2 males. They are a hiding species, so the males should keep their distance. But it is very important to have extra enclosures to be sure there isn't anyone getting bullied.