Lighting and heat for hatchling sulcata.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I'm planning to buy a hatchling sulcata tortoise. I was doing my research and I became really confused with the lighting and heat lamps. I just wanted to know if basking and heat lamps are the same? What king of lamps do I need for my future sulcata?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Yes a basking lamp is also referred to as a heat lamp.

Here is my recommendation:
You want a light that will make a hot area for the tort to bask and warm up its body temperature. Aim for 95F- 100F.

You want a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) set on a thermostat for 80F. This will keep you daytime low and nighttime temps at 80F

Where in the world are you? If your tort can have regular time outside then you don't need artificial UV lighting. If you feel the need to supply this, then you'll also want a UV light. The long tube is best. MVB (mercury vapor bulb) output is debatable and coil bulbs may cause eye damage.
If you opt to not use artificial UV (I don't here in SoCal) then you can use regular lights to add extra lighting (to brighten up his place) as needed.

Don't forget that a sulcata hatches when its hot and humid in Africa. You want a nice humid hide available and ambient humidity of 80% is great, too.

Hope this helps.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
hello and welcome. See my thread below which contains all you need to know. I use a CHE (does not put out only light only heat) 160W and a 125W Solar Glo light. Look at the thread and if you still have any questions, let me know.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
So Cal... It's a good place to have torts!

I have leopards but they are raised the same as sulcatas.

I converted an aquarium into closed chamber.
I use a 60 watt regular house bulb for heat/basking. A 15 watt regular house bulb at the other end for extra light and a CHE on thermostat.
I provide an outdoor enclosure for them to have time outside.

Prop your feet up, grab some popcorn and read, read, read. Read the threads:
The End Of Pyramiding
Closed Chambers

Also, read the care sheet at the top of the Sulcata section.

Once you start to understand the basics, let us help you fine tune things. You might feel overwhelmed at first but it all makes sense soon after you dive in!

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Thank you. I'm going to use an aquarium also. I'm just a little confused how to make it a closed chamber. How did you make yours a closed chamber?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My tank has a sliding screen lid. I used clear wrapping paper to cover the screen and taped it along the entire edge.
Then I cut out holes in the clear top where the light domes sit. I made a ring of aluminum foil to line the holes. This keeps the dome from touching the wrapping paper. The foil rings extend out from and under the dome 1". Then I taped the dome to the foil ring so it can't move.
It works very well and has been running like this for over a year.

Make sure all holes are covered and there are no gaps.

Attachments

• 1384483583764.jpg
    1384483583764.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 1384483650821.jpg
    1384483650821.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 60

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Wow. Where do you buy the clear cover? Do you put the plastic over the screen? Is the screen keeping the lamps from falling in? I heard that the clip on lamps are not good, is that true?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I bought the clear wrapping paper roll from the 99cent store.

I first covered the entire screen with the clear wrap. Then I cut out holes where the light domes sit. So, yes the domes sit directly on the screen.

They each came with clamps but I tossed them. I'd never trust the clamps.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I bought the clear wrapping paper roll from the 99cent store.

I first covered the entire screen with the clear wrap. Then I cut out holes where the light domes sit. So, yes the domes sit directly on the screen.

They each came with clamps but I tossed them. I'd never trust the clamps.

Thank you for telling me that. How do you keep the plastic from melting since there is heat around it?