light placement? +few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have a 4 inch red foot tortoise named Dorito. He is being housed in a zoo med tortoise house ( my dad wouldnt help me build a tort table -_-)I dont use the little divider that gives it a sleeping quarters because it doesnt need that large of a hide for his size. I currently have a 75w infra red basking bulb placed over his half log hide and it remains at a steady 75 inside of his log. His basking area is 90-95 and is located directly at the entrance to his hide. Should i move it somewhere else? The rest of his enclosure is about 75 degrees in the day, should i add a CHE to keep the other side warm. His food, basking, and hide are all on one side and his bowl on the other, but he rarely goes on the other half of his cage. I also have a reptisun 5.0 running across the wire top. He gets 30 minute soaks in a tub in his enclosure under his uvb also. Should i not have the uvb directly above while soaking or does it not matter.

muffinjenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Euless TX
Redfoots don't need a basking spot really, but they do well with and all over ambient heat of about 80 degrees, hope this helps :)

~Jenn

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
muffinjenn said:
Redfoots don't need a basking spot really, but they do well with and all over ambient heat of about 80 degrees, hope this helps :)

~Jenn

While everyone keeps saying they don't need a basking spot, I have found my RF Tyrone does indeed bask under his heat light. So while I agree they may not need a "hot spot" don't be surprised if they do migrate to the area under the heat lamp. Not matter if you have correct temps.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Mine loves to lay under the light once hes done eating >.< Ill definitely add another hest source to bring up the ambient temperature of the test of the cage.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Agreed they dont need a basking spot, persay. But mine also will lay under the light or the CHE..

Status
Not open for further replies.