Light help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Hi everyone. Okay; my cute widdle Red Foots are in and they've already had their soak and breakfast. They look great & are not shy. Love it... Photo's to arrive later today..

Question: Since they are tiny/babies What is the Best light bulb/temp to place for them?
Currently they are away from the other Tortoise's.
I have a little terrarium that I use for new ones & to confirm health & all is well. But it's been so long that I've had anyone in it, that the bulbs are burned out & so I thought hey advice from Other Red Foot would be awesome!
Right now I have zoomeds day 75w bulb on them because I do not want them to get toastie. It has a blue glow if that helps? I usually save the boxes but can't find the one for this so I'm reading the bulb.Humidity is great! Using Coir, they love it. But I want to make sure they stay in good health.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How fun! I would say a heat source for day and night is good along with a long tube uvb....however, if you allow them outside natural sun time each day for at least half an hour then you can do fine without the additional uvb....but only if you give them outside natural sun....I would in addition to having warm moist areas I would also provide a little cooler dry area to allow them an opportunity to dry out some to maintain healthy shell...also remember to give a nice deep substrate to allow moisture without muck.....you don't want to have shell rot issues...huh.

I would say if your dry side is about 76-78 that is good and a middle/general ambient temp of 80 and a warmer side of 88-90ish....I have used coco coir/dirt/organic soil and now I have added a bunch of organic peat moss (not the stringy stuff) and they LOVE it and it holds good moisture but allows the top layer to be sturdier and not sopping wet in the moist areas....and again...deep soil is much appreciated by the RFs here....

Wait around and the others will give you their input as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.