Lettuce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
My mom got a handful of seeds of "some kind of lettuce" from a neighbor early this spring. She likes growing new stuff so she decided to toss the seeds in a corner of her garden to see what came up. Once it started growing it quickly became the size of a bush and now she really wants to know what it is. I'd also like to know so I can know if I should help her 'harvest' it and pass it along to my Greek tortoise. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me when I visited her house so I couldn't get a shot of the entire plant, but I did pull off a single stalk so I could bring it home and take a picture to post here. It's a little bit hard to tell, but the coloration in the stalks and in the veins of the leaf is actually purple. The whole length of the stalk and leaf together is about 18 inches. Some of the stalks on the main plant are as long as 20-24 inches.

7708520384_934f15d9fb_b_d.jpg

7708520544_df2e492739_b_d.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Reminds me of Chard.....my post here will give your thread a bump back to the top of the list and you will likely get the others take on your pic....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.