Leopard Tort questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So recently started researching about Tortoises and saw the Leopard and Red-Foot. Have plenty of room, and in the works of designing a massive outdoor cage. I plan on getting a baby 2-4" of either. Have many years experience with green basilisk (they have a custom 5x6x4 feet enclosure) and other lizards.

In terms of the Leopard:

What grasses are easily found in stores and decently cheap? I plan to get 3-4 Varietes, possibly more as things get going. I know Alfalfa is high in protein so shouldn't be used much, if at all.

I know grasses/hay should make up 70% of the diet. But what makes the other 30%? Is this the flowers, weeds etc?

In terms of Dandelions, can leopards eat them? and how often? I like many others have been blessed with a Dandelion yard. Which before to me was bad, but it seems a lot of Torts like these! When picking them, should I wash them before feeding? And how much in terms of diet can i feed the Dandelions to them?

I've also read to add some d3/calcium supplement to some of the feedings. How often in a baby should the d3 be used and how much?

Also in terms of feeding, is there a good way to tell how much food to feed, or do they stop eating when full etc? I don't want to overfeed or underfeed. And how Often.

And Humidity. What's a good % to work at for Leopards? I've heard dryer is better, but not completely dry. My guess would be keep it between 30-60% or?

Substrate is another thing. For Leopards what is a good one (Plan to start on paper-tower when a baby).

In terms of Red-Foot:

I pretty much have the hang of this one except again. How much and how often to feed them?

Sorry it's a lot of questions but I want to be prepared! Thanks for any info you provide!

Status
Not open for further replies.