Leopard ID required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataPardalis

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have always assumed my leopards to be s.p.babcocki

Yesterday three babies hatched from a clutch and had a hint of the double spot on the scutes that I have read indicates s.p.pardalis

I am 100% certain mine aren't - is this just an anomaly.

As you can see from the photos, it is only just present in two of them, but quite pronounced in the other.

The final three photos are from a different female. These hatched on the same day.

These ones are quite domed, and much smaller than those mentioned previous, which are quite flat and significantly bigger than this clutch.

Thanks for looking.

DSC02300.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

DSC02302.jpg

DSC02303.jpg

DSC02304.jpg

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Looks like your adults have some South African genetics in them. For all intents and purposes, I would consider them just babcocki though.

Any pictures of the adults that produced these? These hatchlings look very cool.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Really good looking hatchlings. I see some p.pardalis in all of them. Have we seen pictures of the parents? These should be very easy to sell since they're so attractive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sadly, this is the state of leopards in the US. For many years people have just thrown any and all leopards from all over their range in to the same pens and allowed them to breed. It is very difficult to find any that are known to be "pure", and out of a known, traceable source.

This won't hurt anything as far as your babies go. They should still grow up to be healthy, normal individuals. And they will still be gorgeous looking leopard tortoises.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The last two are incredibly unique. I would love to see the parents also. Can you post pics of them?

SulcataPardalis

5 Year Member
DSC00948.JPG

This is the female that laid the two dotted hatchings.

DSC00971.JPG

This is the female that laid the light coloured hatchlings.

DSC00969.JPG

And this is most likely suspect for the dad.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Going strictly by pattern, I would say that the male is most likely part gpp. The middle one looks all babcocki. The first pic could go either way. Do any of them have black lines on the plastron?

Rawbbeh

5 Year Member
SulcataPardalis said:
And here she is laying the eggs.

P1030965.JPG

I keep staring at this picture waiting for the egg to drop into the hole she dug... :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for posting the pics. The male sure is a lot lighter. Whatever they are, they sure produced some unique babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.