Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tips:
1. Don't mix species. Especially not a gregarious aggressive one with a more shy and reserved one.
2. Both of those water bowls are death traps and are unsuitable for tortoises. I recommend terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate.
3. They need a humid hide. Half logs are good cage furniture, but they still need a proper humid retreat.
4. Red bulbs during the day can confuse their brain. I recommend white light to simulate sunshine as much as possible.
5. They need a much larger enclosure than that. Tortoises NEED to walk. It helps their digestion and gives them much needed exercise. With all the furniture in there, there is not much room to walk.
6. Pairs are not a good idea. One always suffers in that arrangement.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO, please read Toms great threads on the proper care of raising sulcatas and leopards. They are at the bottom of my post and his.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

took out useless water bowl i was filling to give them baths/soaks inside their enclosure and going to work on a humid hide in the morning.. will switch out red light with ceramic light in morning also. in process of getting an additional lamp for added sunlight in top right corner

at night i blanket enclosure and turn off bright sun bulb in order to retain heat (it is very cold where i live).. i have the enclosure located in the screened in porch which as summer is approaching it will get ridiculously hot and muggy.

as far as the two being mixed..it honestly wasn't my original intent but it's all i could work out in a trade with ATC, ideally speaking i wanted neither, and i wanted credit towards a pardalis leopard tortoise (my main goal) btw shells appear creamy because they were in midst of soak/vitashell treatment...it is a pretty large dog house for such tiny tortoises at the moment, but i can see myself making something out of wood or concrete in the near future.

and in regards to enclosure it is a pretty large dog house certainly larger than any glass tank out there or makeshift plastic underbed bin for such tiny tortoises at the moment, but i can see myself making something out of wood or concrete in the near future, because anything bigger will truly require construction.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Brandrep88 said:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

took out useless water bowl i was filling to give them baths/soaks inside their enclosure and going to work on a humid hide in the morning.. will switch out red light with ceramic light in morning also. in process of getting an additional lamp for added sunlight in top right corner

at night i blanket enclosure and turn off bright sun bulb in order to retain heat (it is very cold where i live).. i have the enclosure located in the screened in porch which as summer is approaching it will get ridiculously hot and muggy.

as far as the two being mixed..it honestly wasn't my original intent but it's all i could work out in a trade with ATC, ideally speaking i wanted neither, and i wanted credit towards a pardalis leopard tortoise (my main goal) btw shells appear creamy because they were in midst of soak/vitashell treatment...it is a pretty large dog house for such tiny tortoises at the moment, but i can see myself making something out of wood or concrete in the near future.

and in regards to enclosure it is a pretty large dog house certainly larger than any glass tank out there or makeshift plastic underbed bin for such tiny tortoises at the moment, but i can see myself making something out of wood or concrete in the near future, because anything bigger will truly require construction.

Uhh but they still need to NOT live together. I don't understand why you got two tortoises that you don't want... is that the case? That doesn't mean you can give them substandard care or stress them out.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you sure that is a Sulcata? can you post close up pics of just that one?
Where do you live? Are you prepared for a large outdoor enclosure that is heated in the winter? these two do not hibernate..

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Laura said:
are you sure that is a Sulcata? can you post close up pics of just that one?
Where do you live? Are you prepared for a large outdoor enclosure that is heated in the winter? these two do not hibernate..

It seems that they live in Rhode Island. Unless I'm mistaken it snows there. Def need nice, large, SEPARATE indoor enclosures for both of them.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Yep, very cute! It's amazing how much bigger the sully is already! I have two Leo's and a Sulcata and have them in three different large enclosures inside & outside. Its better for them and less worry for me. Good luck and keep the pics coming they are so cute!

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
i have an intended goal in mind and I will reach it come thursday in regards to what I keep

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Brandrep88 said:
i have an intended goal in mind and I will reach it come thursday in regards to what I keep

And what goal is that, exactly? If you don't mind me asking.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Brandrep 88, In post #4, Barb directed you toward some caresheets for the two species. When you find a buyer, I recommend that you print these sheets and give them to the new owner. Please make sure the new owner knows how big these animals will grow and understands the housing requirements, especially in cold weather. If the new owners are well informed and prepared, there's less chance that they will be flipped again.

You can also direct them to this forum where they can get more info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not up to us, as members of the Forum, to dictate how other members keep or don't keep their tortoises. Yes, you all can have an opinion, and you can like it or not, but this is not the place to voice that opinion. I have moved some of the posts out of the thread.

Brandon doesn't have to explain himself or his reasoning to us. But I got the impression that the tortoises were given to him in lieu of a money refund. In a case like that, because he couldn't get the money, he would naturally want to sell the tortoises. I think most of us might have the same idea in mind.

Just because you or I wouldn't buy and sell tortoises doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. Try to be a little more open minded and not so accusatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.