Legalizing Indian Star tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejunomads

5 Year Member
Hey... I am new here. I recently bought 2 Star tortoises.. They are slowly adjusting to the environment here. The other day one of the guest who came home asked me if I have permit to keep the tortoises as it is illegal. I searched everywhere on the internet, it talks only about exporting. Can anyone tell if this problem has a solution? Can a permit be obtained. I am scared of this taking a bad shape.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, tejunomads!

I guess it all depends upon what country you are living in. Star tortoises are legal to keep here in America.

tejunomads

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, tejunomads!

I guess it all depends upon what country you are living in. Star tortoises are legal to keep here in America.

I am sorry I forgot to mention my location. The tortoises are with me in South India... It's illegal here. But any permits/licenses to keep them... :(

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lititz, PA
Your Country makes a big difference. All Tortoises are listed on CITES in either Appendix I or II, but that only technically controls international trade of wild specimens (though most countries require the same permits for captive-bred CITES animals).

If you are in America, its possible someone accidentally assumed they were seeing a Radiated Tortoise, which is ESA listed by USFWS. ESA animals require a permit for interstate trade.

Anyway, if you're in the United States, you have nothing to worry about.

tickle

5 Year Member
They are definatly illegal were you live but in India money talks buy u should be able to buy a permit do not tell them you have the stars yet or problems might arrise.

Status
Not open for further replies.