Learning to trust the tort, update, pictures, and questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
We did lose Munch, I do not know what happened there. I'm not sure if he was too hot, too cold, sick when we got him or what. I have not had the chance to talk to the reptile store he came from, I'm not as much of a mess though...

We now have a plethora of bulbs...
P5050010.jpg

Inlcuding the one not pictured 160watt power sun. I don't know which is the best to use! Right now its the 75watt basking lamp, on a dimmer. (BTW, cannot get it to work with the timer, grrr...)

Here are some pics of the enclosure, light is 12 inches above the substrate.
P5050012.jpg

P5050011.jpg

Here is Moe, what kind of cameras will focus on these little guys? My Olympus is having none of it!
P5050017.jpg

Right now temp is about 95 in the basking spot, and 77 in the cool side. He has a hide on each side. As you can see I spray down the table once a day. What should I do for night time heat this summer when we run the a/c?

I'm constantly doubting that he's where he should be. Its a huge party if he moves to the opposite side by himself. I'm afraid he's too little to know whats best.

Any thoughts, advise, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sarah!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Okay, here goes.

1. Your camera probably has a digital Macro setting. If so, you can get some really good pics using that, but you'll need sunshine or really good lighting as the flash doesn't work in that mode. If you decide get a new camera, Sony takes better outdoor pics and Canon takes better indoor pics, generally speaking. I like these two brands the best. My wife has a Sony and I've got a Canon.

2. Your temps seem pretty good. If all is well you shouldn't need any night heat in the summer (or winter) unless you are air conditioning your house into the low 60's. 70's should be fine for a healthy little tort.

3. The moss in the corners worries me. I don't like the angle or the height. If he decides to climb up that mountain he could flip or escape. Neither would be good.

4. The water bowl looks like the sides are a bit too steep and tall for such a lil' one. Maybe I just can't see the pic well enough. Can he easily climb in and out of it?

Don't get frustrated. We all have had to learn from some trial and error. You'll get the hang of it the more you do it. I know that you will succeed, because of your tenacity and how hard you are trying. I think you are doing a fantastic job and all of these things are part of fine tuning. In other words, you've got the bulk of it perfect. Reading your post and thinking of how best to answer your questions made me think of how much I am constantly tinkering and fine tuning on almost a daily basis. Every time a bulb burns out or the weather changes or I learn something new here on the forum, I am making all sorts of infinitesimal adjustments.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
The basking bulb provides UVA, I take him out for a bit each day that its warm. It that enough? Or do I need to incorporate UVB rays as well?

The water tray is a walk in, so it slopes. It does look steep in the pics though.

Timers, what do you guys find works best? The dimmer is working well for controlling how hot the spot gets, but I cannot make it all work together.

I adjusted the mossy corners, he does like to hide in them head first. So I just made them lower. Thank you Tom, for pointing that one out.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm so sorry that you lost Munch, these little guys are quite fragile and sometimes it doesn't take much for them to go over the edge.

I only have one suggestion. Is that a cuttlebone in the upper right corner?
If it is I'd personally break a piece off and just put the smaller piece in for Moe, that way it'll last longer for you. My guys tend to drag their cuttlebone through the dirt so I end up replacing it with fresh stuff regularly. Not a biggy issue but just something I do.
I use the sunglo lamps for my leopards but then I'm in a northern climate and they don't get outside every day.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
pugsandkids said:
The basking bulb provides UVA, I take him out for a bit each day that its warm. It that enough? Or do I need to incorporate UVB rays as well?

If it is just UVA then that bulb is JUST for heat. So you will need some type of UVB light yes, unless your tort can be outside 365 days a year.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
With your loss, I think you may be worrying too much about Moe. He is not to young to know when he wants heat and when he wants cool, so just let him choose. My three each prefer different locations and levels of sun and protection. One loves to be head first into a corner, loves high heat areas, and prefers to be alone. The other two like to be together, prefer more open areas under bushes and such, and are not into the direct heat.

As long as he is eating well, drinking once a day or so, and pooping decently every few days or so, you are doing fine with him. He's young and learning what he wants and also developing his personality as well. Just watch and see what he likes, what he does, and enjoy him! :)

Don't worry about your night temps during the summer with the A/C. 70's are fine. You'll probably see him go find a corner and sleep well. If he's cold, he will go find the heat when the timer kicks on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
pugsandkids said:

The water tray is a walk in, so it slopes. It does look steep in the pics though.

Timers, what do you guys find works best? The dimmer is working well for controlling how hot the spot gets, but I cannot make it all work together.

I adjusted the mossy corners, he does like to hide in them head first. So I just made them lower. Thank you Tom, for pointing that one out.

Dimmers won't work with self ballasted lights like the MVBs. I not familiar with the type you are using. I just use regular incandescents because, like you, mine get outside several times a week. Some people like the dimmers, but I just adjust my bulbs up or down to get the right temps. This way I can also use very low wattage bulbs too. I don't think you need UV bulbs at all as long as your tort is getting a couple hours of sun a week.

I don't know what to tell you about the timers. I've used several types and had no problems. Just set the current time and then set your on and off times. Can you tell us a bit more about what problem you are having with them.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Greg, you are absolutely right! I'm working to become less paranoid about Moe :)

I have to play with bulbs, hoods, and timers this weekend to really get things set. He is not very mobile while he's inside though...could this be a heat issue? When I bring him outside, he's never still! Then I bring him in and he goes to sleep.

7am light on, and soak time.
He does his own thing till about 3pm (which does not seem to be much!) then I've been bringing him outside for 30-60 minutes. He runs around, eats, stretches, eats some more.
Then I bring him in, set him in his water, he drinks, then climbs out and heads into a hide. Usually for the rest of the night! This morning I was excited to see that he headed out of his hide about the time the "sun" was going to turn on.

Tom I think my timer issue is more of a bulb/hood issue. That and I bought a digital one, I'm going to buy one of the older "pin" type ones this weekend. Keep it simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.