Lazy Bones!!

tsemiller

I live in Scotland so weather not the best lol. I do try to get Rocky outside as much as possible though especially as we've had some decent weather recently :) Since he has been getting outside for a few hours every day recently, he seems to be sleeping way more! He's often burrowed down in his hide by 6pm and will sleep right through till 8 or 9 am. He still naps on and off during the day too! He's very active, especially outside so he's obviously eating more. I know he's getting much more exercise than he usually does but is that not way too much sleep?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Sounds like he's brumating. Brumating is a lot like hibernating, except they are still active during brumation. It's a totally normal process for reptiles, and it usually only lasts a few days to a couple 0f weeks. Wild reptiles brumate because it's the dry season, or/and shortage of food and space. Just makes make sure that he gets enough to eat, and to drink, and they usually don't go pee or poop during bruamtion, but as he isn't actually hibernating, and needs to keep his systems moving try and give him a bath in warm water which should make him REALLY want to go.
If he still just young guy this could be his first brumation (aww!) and it will happen again eventually.
Hope this helps!

tsemiller

Thanks :) he still gets a daily soak so has still been peeing and pooing - thought all the extra exercise was just tiring him out lol - complicated wee things ain't they!!

StuMac

5 Year Member
My tort Slash does this too. I have to wake him to soak and feed otherwise he would sleep for days. He was out everyday for nearly 2 weeks and was only indoors overnight. We too are in Scotland, Aberdeenshire to be precise, and he has plenty to eat and hide amongst both indoors and out. Thought it was strange but as he poops and pees well I figured he is ok. Not seen him drink much, but I mist his greens to keep his fluids up.

tsemiller

Nice to know there are other scottish people out there who understand how bad our weather is and how it limits the torts time outdoors - it really us too cold must of the time lol. What kind of tortoise do you have?

StuMac

5 Year Member
Slash is a Hermanns. Lives in a custom made 6x4 enclosure and has a 10x4 outdoor garden I designed. I work offshore so get 3 weeks at a a time to footer about with things. I've blocked his way into his hiding hole today to keep him a bit more active and make sure he eats and basks under his lamp. He's been really lazy recently!