large white poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_laurelle

5 Year Member
i just got a russian tortoise, about a week ago and he just had his first bowel movement. that seems a little odd to me, but also it was all white, it doesn't seem really runny or slimy but the whole thing is white? should i be concerned?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise takes in fluid, they know that their next drink from that rain-soaked puddle is going to be a long time in the future, so they hold in their liquid. The body re-uses it and what is left over is called urates. The next time the tortoise gets a drink, he feels safe to expel what he's been holding and it is usually a creamy, clump of softish goop. Its normal for a tortoise to "poop out" the urates he's been holding, however, it SHOULD BE slightly runny and slimey. If its hard that means the little guy has been dehydrated for a while.

It takes several days, sometimes a week for the food your little Russian ate today to travel through the body and be pooped out. He might not have been receiving the best of care before you got him. But now, after a week, you should start to see some poop.

I would soak this little guy every day for about 15 minutes. Put him in a container with tall sides so he can't climb out, cover it to make him feel secure, then leave him alone. Russians usually ALWAYS make a BIG MESS out of their soaking water. Usually never fails to make them poop!

k_laurelle

5 Year Member
when i cleaned it out it was runnier then i thought upon initial inspection. i had read about the urates, but i didn't know if he would have an entirely white bowl movement or if it would just fleck his normal ones, so you've been very helpful. thanks for the info :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are very welcome.

Usually urates are separate from a bowel movement. Not always, but usually.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To date I have never seen a russian not make a mess of their water bowl.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
To date I have never seen a russian not make a mess of their water bowl.

LOL
A friend of mine just got a RT, and was all concerned about some substrate in the water, he was changing it 2-3 times a day!
When he told me I laughed my butt off!
I refill mine nightly and take it out and clean it down every 2-3 days.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Its a good idea to keep two water bowls. One for soaking(and pooping), and once you're done with the pooped one, you can switch it out with the clean one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.